Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wee Hooker

Scupper hole depth finder ?

11 posts in this topic

Ok after a search, I can find refference to allot of fish finder questions but nothing specific to what I'm Im looking for. Simply put, does anybody make/ has anybody modified a fishfinder that is self contained and just slipps into a scupper hole for the mount? ( or do I need to invent it myself and get rich of you guys smile.gif Seems simple enough to dobut I havn't seen anything like this yet.

If I'm envisioning what your idea is correctly ...

You could probably fashion something out of PVC, a Tee connector and a mimi RAM mount for a self contained portable unit like the Piranah 10 (I think).

I would leave the PVC open where it sits in the scupper hole so the scupper still functions.

Don't know if this will translate well but I saw a guy out here that was pissed about the performance of a impeller removal tool for his boat so he took the arms of it, cut the thread down so it wouldn't poke him and then attached a small throttle lever ball to it. For the side in the water he used a small piece of starboard attached to the thread and epoxyed the transducer to it. To remove it from the Yak he unscrewed the ball and then was able to store the transducer when not in the water. Like I said sorry if this is cryptic but it worked pretty well. I guess it goes to show you how upset the guy was while changing his impeller.

it needs to be flush mounted (low Drag)

need to find a small 12volt battey (to power the fish finder)

Use a side scanning one and then make a swivel mount (so you can aim the fish finder)

On the rare ocasion I use a fish finder I use a suction cup mount. Every transducer i have ever seen is two big to slip down the hole from the inside. If you want to slip it up from the bottom a plug made from boogie board foam with a slot in the side could be slipped over the cable and pushed down the inside hole to hold the cable snug and keep the transducer tight to the bottom.

barrell

Why go through the trouble? Shooting through the hull works great. Its seems to me that using a scupper hole would create all sorts of other problems - the bottom of the transducer would have to be perfectly flush to the bottom (to prevent buildup), and on my boat (tarpon 120) the scupper holes fall along the grooves in the bottom and the openings are also slightly flared out, so I can't see how you could ever get it flush. If the transducer was recessed a little bit you'd have to worry about interference from the hull and air bubbles that may get trapped under it. IMO - in-hull mountings are the way to go - a little marine goop, a 12V jet-ski battery, and a deck-mounted solar panel charger, just take the display with you and you never have to screw around with the rest of it.

There is a definite increase in performance when you don't shoot through the hull. I can see the faint trace of the thermocline in lakes when I hang the transducer over the side but not when it's in the hull. All I care about though, is catching fish and I don't know how this would help except in unusual circumstances.

Shooting thru the hull is definately used by most. If you search another kayak fishing website, you will find a few different mods such as installing one to your rudder bracket (assuming your have one).

Good luck.

I was out with a friend two summers ago trying to locate a few crab pots that I left overnight without markers on them. He had a "thru hull" fish/depth finder on his kayak & it worked awesome! The contour of the bottom (approximately 10 - 15' depth) was well defined. I will be putting one on my new Tarpon 160.

Cabela's makes a small 12 V battery.

Sit in Yaks don't have scupper holes.

Both SOT and S in Y's have inside the hull storage locations you can mount the thingamajiggy and shoot thru the hullPVC Pipe portion or connecting piece, semi-filled with

Petrolem Jelly does the trick.

Check some of the other kayak sites for installation instructions. Reel-time has archives on their Kayak site that cover that instellation in depth. It works very well in my Pungo and in the front storage area of my Tarpon 160i.

Flush mounting one in a scupper hole is an interesting idea, but why go there when shooting thru the hull is so much easier?