Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Rockaway River 9-11-03

1 post in this topic

Took the 100 into a spot in the Rockaway River yesterday that I haven't fished in several years. Hiked in with the kayak on a cart between 100-200 yards. Last 30' or so was very steep. Last time was in a float tube. I was using UL gear with micro jigs. At first I was using a Berkley micro craw then I switched to a 1" chartruese tube and it was better. It was especially fun swimming the tube through the shallow riffles in 1-2' of water and watching the wakes of the smallies. Sometimes I wouldn't see the wake or the fish but the highly visible tube would suddenly change direction. Got a few dozen sunnies of assorted species. App. a couple dozen yellow perch, app. the same amount of smallies, chubs, crappie, largemouth bass and the one of the prettiest Rainbow Trout I've ever seen. Its entire flank was on fire. Biggest/heaviest fish was the largemouth and I doubt that it was much more then a foot. Rainbow was around 14". I saw some largemouths to 18" or so and a few pickerel around 20". Pickerel were the only species I didn't catch that I saw and in the past I've gotten native brookies. I explored working upstream but there wasn't any way I was taking the yak up there. I've fished the section above and its been excellent. Deep water that can't be accesses from shore. My best smallie from the Rockaway came out of this stretch. It was in the 18" plus range. I've also gotten Pickerel to 2' there too. That will be the next spot. Have to hike in an old RR bed that had pilings on it still last time. Might still have tracks too. Probably a 1/4 mile. It is very enjoyable, relaxing fishing and very close to home.