Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Fishing Last Night

3 posts in this topic

I joined Joey to do some western sound Westchester shore fishing. A strong south wind was blowing pretty good which Joey assured me would lay down, NOT! The good thing is we were paddling into it so heading back in would be easy. Joeys first cast produced his plastic being bit in half. We figured great let's catch some blues, NOT! We decided to climb up this huge rock and fish the deep water waiting for the tide to come in (it was dead low). After a while I put on a 9" sluggo and it was chomper right up to the hook. At nightfall the water was eliminating our perch and it was time to get back in the yaks. We put on our packable jackets and off we went. I figured I'd try another sluggo for a bass and chomp. Blues should want something other than these big sluggos, NOT! No more sluggos but they weren't hittin anything else. Joey then got a couple of bass tight against the shore so I did the same. I managed a nice schoolie. Turns out that you can't park in Westchester after midnight so we had to go in. Bummer! I knew that some bass had to be around as I had several hits. Good thing was heading back to Jersey took me under an hour.

Hey John could you explain some of the "things to know" when Yak fishing at night. A kind of necessaties list & how you go about being visible & knowing where to paddle etc.. Thanks Mark

Mark, I'm Jon (JonS) not John since there's at least 2 other Johns that kayak fish on this board.

Joey had a neat item. A red light that he wore. He said that he got it from a boating store. You could see it forever. In fact while we were fishing on the rock a police patrol saw his light and came from a long distance to see if we were alright.

Good planning is the most important thing. Fishing at night is great and I do a lot of it via the yak. I don't go in the salt alone at night. So hook up with someone who's already doing it. Of course you want a waterproof flashlight. I wear my PFD at night. Also you want to know where all your gear is and use the light as infrequently as posible to maintain good night vision. I keep things like my pliers on a leash and right by my thigh. Everything should be attached. One item I find handy is a diver mesh bag. You can put a lot of stuff in it and then just throw it in the tankwell and clip it to a loop. If there's something I really want I'll usually go beach the yak and dig it out. I keep anything I don't plan on using stored out of the way.

As to where to go. Same types of situations you'd fish from shore except that the kayak lets you hit inaccessible but similar situations. You don't always have to fish from the yak. You'll use it alot to get you to places to wade that you wouldn't reach otherwise. Usually the bass are in shallow at night. Last night they were literally right against shore and we were casting almost on the beach. In fact I got off to good of a cast and ended up over a wall. It was an adventure retrieving my the only black mambo I had with me.