Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gonzo

Sevylor XK1 Inflatable

4 posts in this topic

Please forgive if this subject has been "done to death", but I am new to kayaking. In fact I don't yet own one - but have a hankering for the inflatable versions.

I know they probable won't be as stable as a hard versions but portable (compact) transport is top of my priority.

It is mainly going to be used as transport to sandbanks, reefs, etc and not as a platform to fish from.

Has anyone used the Sevylor XK1 or the Stearns whitewater sole kayak?

Hi.

No. My $0.02....

When I first thought of kayak fishing...I too only thought of the kayak as a mode of transport. But, the more I thought about it, researched it, etc....the more that I realized that I would be underutilzing my kayak by 50%. There are awesome locations that can only be fished effectively from a skiff/canoe or kayak. I figured that if I am going to spend over $500.00 on a kayak, I better be using it 100%.

I would STRONGLY recommend taking a "test drive" on an inflatable AND a hardbody. Actions speak louder than words. (I never buy a car without a test drive. The same should apply for kayaks.)

Food for thought.

-Saltie.

Hey Gonzo,

Here's 2 cents more. I had a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak. Thought it would be great in the saltponds of RI. It probably would have been if there was never any wind. Problem is, the inflatables have too high of a profile and they act like kites.

I recently got a T140 hardbody and the difference is like night and day! Definitely try out the two and you'll see the difference. Good luck with your choice.

wink.gif

-Glenn