Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alby

Fly Rod Holder

12 posts in this topic

I have a standard rod holder riveted to my kayak, but it uses the butt end of the spinning or conventional reel to secure it in place. Is there a holder designed for fly rods?

Thanks.

ALby

There are after market fly rod holders which are basicly a hunk of 1.5 PVC cut to fit a fly rod with a strap to secure it. There is one with a smaller diameter pipe coming out of the bottom to fit recessed holders and there's another with a tab on each end and some velcro that fits a Titelok wire holder or similar. I'm sure you could make one of these. Besides, although I've seen them I have no idea where to get them. smile.gif

Jim

They are made by Fentress Marine in Largo, Fla., but they won''t seel em, ya gotta find a store that carries them. Fentress has a web site so you can see their products.

I called Fentress Marine last week and they were nice enuf to sell me 10 of the fly rod holders (min order) but I think they had to couple it with another order. They should be arriving next week some time. I will post a picture & discription so you can check them out. I plan to bolt 4 or 6 to a milk crate, which means I will have a few left over if anyone is interested.

You can send me an email for the information, but I don't want to cause any problems on the board with this so if it's not a good idea, please let me know. I don't want to paddle across anyone's casting lane. wink.gif

Also, JonS & Barrell may want to look at this to see if they want to carry them. It would be a lot easier than going through Fentress, and the're cheep too! -Ed

------------------

flyak

I used a couple sections of PVC pipe tie strapped to the corner of my milk crate. I used a 45 degree elbow to let the rod lay in a "cradle" that I cut out of PVC. I don't have a picture of it, but could give you better instructions on how to make one.

The draw back is I have turn around to grab the rod, but I don't like too much stuff in front of me either for the line to grab onto.

Good Luck.