Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ishmael

14' Heritage Fisherman - any thoughts?

10 posts in this topic

I'm 5'11", 200lbs. and an experienced boater/waterman.

Looking for an SOT so I can have more flexibilty (launching through light surf).

Whaddya think of this boat?

I have fished out of that boat, but you've got about 25lbs on me. It's quirky, has a very narrow weight range to keep the sponsons out of the water. Jims right, you're at the upper limits but OK if you don't bring much stuff.

Also has less primary stability than a lot of other boats, not really a big deal if your comfortable in a kayak.

The real shortcoming in the surf is its drain system. One hole in the middle drains like a bathtub. Really leaves you in big (and I mean big) puddle for a while.

Overall, there are much better boats for this purpose. Personally, I would go with a Tarpon 140. Speeds almost as good and it has a much better layout.

Well... this comes from a guy who after lugging a 14'9" boat for 4 seasons said "the hell with it" and much to amazement of his paddling confederates went out and procuded a 9ft8" 34" wide SOT. I don't know anyone else who fishes from it... Ocean Kayak BigYak.

I am 5'11", 190#, 37, very fit. All I can say, no more long boats for this paddling angler.

Everyone says, aah but they are so fast. They are. Unless the sea monster was tryingg to eat my shrimp the speed has never been an issue for me.

Stability of the wider hull is what sold me on to my rig, plus its excellent in barging through the surf.

All I am telling you is to examine what are you going to need the speed for.

Kayaks are still cheaper than motorboats, so no point in regretting more than 1. Have you consulted the paddlingzone.net reviews?

Thanks, guys.

I intend to travel light when I fish, and I won't mind having a wet behind once in a while.

I think I'll find the speed to be an important factor b/c I will be fishing in areas with a LOT of tidal movement (3-6 knts sometimes) and it should make it a lot easier to paddle if I have to buck the current.

Launching thru the surf will be only an occasional issue (when I take the whole family to the beach).

It'll certainly be better for me purposes than the giant tandem sit-in boat I have now.

Pardon me if I sound like I am lecturing, I hate to do that, but in my experience kayaking is a very minimalist sport. 1 rod, one reel, few lures that you have confidence in.

I always cringe seeing these well-meaning folks who drag a baitcaster, spinning, fly reel and bottom fishing rig "just to be ready". 4 trips to the parking lot to fill up the boat with 50# of tackle...

And then cleaning 4 reels, bucket ful of wet salty lures... mess all over the truck.

All this to say... travel light, easy and enjoy yourself, no matter what the tackled to the teeth snobs say.

I used to live where tidal difference was 9 ft, and currents were like you said, 3-6 knots and better. There were people who could time going out , fish well offshore and be brought back with minimal effort. That sounded like heckuva gambling to me - and I never had a stomach for that.

Don't overlook the beyond surf belt... it's the fish highway!

I fished a little around the mouth of the Kennebec with a friend who had a Sea Dart 14. He's 225 but doesn't carry much tackle and the yak performed fine. However, the aft hatch is under water most of the time, it takes some water and he has to bail it periodically. I would go for a little more stability and capacity. I carry too much tackle but there's gear I always have out in big water at night. Stuff like flares, tow lines, extra lights, VHF, that crap adds up. Tarpon 16 is easy to get back into when you screw up and it's ok in surf. I've heard you have to come up over the aft deck to get back in a Sea Dart.

The only other thought I have is that the Sea Dart has a tight cockpit for some folks. With that and the stability being what it is, I would at least want to have someone paddle it around a bit before making the commitment.

The only other thought I have is that the Sea Dart has a tight cockpit for some folks.

Are you suggesting that I'm fat? biggrin.gifwink.gif

Hey, in high-performance yaks, a tight seat is desirable, so that you 'wear' the yak on your hips, so you can use 'body English' to steer.

hi Ismaeil i have a 14 heritage fisherman and i really like it. It's stable very dry and easy to paddle.I use it for light saltwater in the lewes area and some freshwater pond fishing.If your near lewes you can come by and try before you buy if you wish.i too am around 5-11 and 200#.

good luck

40.gif