Black Rock Harbor Smokin'

Swung by Bridgeport(fisherman's definition of "swing by" means anything within 45 minutes of where you're going). Bunker were way up in Black Rock Harbor and shore fishermen were raking in big blues, so couldn't resist. Caught a few BIG boys on my bunker fly (one crashed it on a very fast retrieve about two inches from the bow of the yak, and proceeded to drench me and nearly pull my arm out of my socket before shaking loose, and caught many others by snagging bunker with a 7/0 hook and hanging on (still using fly rod). Everytime I managed to snag a blue, I'd wait a minute or two and feel a blue hitting into it. I lost a lot of fish, since I really don't know thing one about bait fishing, but brought plenty to the boat. My arms were so tired I left to see if peanuts were holding in the outer harbor with stripers on them, as they were a few weeks back. Nada. The best morning I've seen in a few weeks. If memory serves me right, last year at this time the blues were long gone. Let's hope the big bass showing up in Branford this week is the beginning of the fall striper run. For you T-day yakkers, it might be worth "swinging by" Black Rock. It's at the far western side of Seaside Park. There's a boat launch on the harbor side. Lots of guys were fishing the beach side when I left, so I think things have been happening there.

Arnie, thanks for your post, wish I could swing by these places as often as you do! There have been a few good stripers taken in with the big blues by live-liners so don't despair, you might just have to get lucky though. Glad that big fly was producing for you.

DougieV?

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Arnie, what time were you out?

I could get 4-8am at Black Rock on Tday if I can get out at all, I think it's over early if it's happening. You gittin sick of choppers yet, Dougie?

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black