Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

IslanderReggae=1st Yak??????????

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys....I love fishing for stripers as I live near Boston Harbor. I have a buddy whose dad runs a kayak rental business..

i've got a chance to get an islander reggae for 200.00

i've read some reviews here...some positive some not so posive...

1. can i fish out of the reggae and how much effort will it take to "trick" it our fishin' style

2. i'm big 6'3 240 is the reggae suitable

3. is it worth the 200 beans???????

i'll mostly be taking it on short day trips..in the bays/harbors/and some surf near boston and cape cod...

all thoughts much appreciated

yah

it seems like waaaaaay to good a deal to pass up

i've seen a few yak fishers around and it looks fun..i can't wait to heave that popper into a breaking school.....i can't tell you how many times i've been out, only to find the fish breaking waaaaaaay further than anyone's favorite cast....

as soon as you have any info...please let me know

thanks for the help

stroth

Hi Stroth,

Here's a pic of that boat, which lists for $529. Looks like it will do the job nicely. Go for it.

islanderreggae.jpg

Once you get it drop me a PM, since I also live in Mass., and can join you for fishing the Beantown Harbah. Good Luck.

Yes it does look fine. Did you get a seat with it? How about a paddle? Accessories are what make a kayak a fishing kayak. If you need anything we can help and welcome to the Darkside.

sweet!!!!!

it will come with a seat and a paddle, I think the seat is a "crazy creek" kind or something i'm not that familiar with it.

i imagine that i might have to upgrade on the paddle, but i certainly could use some workouts...

most likely i will have by august....just in time for the fall migration...

on wed. there were so many birds breaking out on the harbor it was unreal!!!!!!!!

what about a life-vest...what kinds do you recc. and where can i get a good deal????

looking forward to checking out the harbor as i need a few ma. spots to check out

tightlines and thanks for the help

Heres a link with a few reviews for the Reggae from Paddlenet:

http://www.*******/Reviews/show....html?prod=706

Also heres a link with the specks:

http://www.*******/buyersguide/...oattype=Kayaks

The Reggae is specified for a suggested weight limit of 325lbs. For $200 its well worth it but you weigh 240lbs so I think your cutting it to close. Get a kayak that'll have a higher weight limit like 400+lbs.

You're killin me with that Harbor report Stroth!

I have fished the Hull area about 15 times over last 3 years and yet to see real bird action out there. I'm always hunting them down like a hound. I score well only about half the time. Usually on tube and worm rig.

Tell you what...

I'll share with you the little I know on kayak rigging\\fishing and you teach me more on fishing the Harbor...Deal? smile.gif

I can PM you some pics and comments.

Cheers

ps

I suggest you take JonS up on his offer to share his knowledge and products to get you set up. You will love kayak fishing buddy.

I just read the reviews. For $200, you really shouldn't go wrong but you may, in time, wish to try other yaks out. It sounds like its got a lot of limitations. If you were buying one new I'd say no way. You'll always be able to sell it for $200 so you'll never loose your money.

I often post this and say it regularly. There are about a dozen or so kayaks that the vast majority of fishermen are using as fishing kayaks. There is a reason. They work.

Thanks for all of the help guys....

It sounds like I can't go wrong with this deal. It won't be perfect, but I think it will be workable. I'm not going to be any kind of kayaking pro, so hopefully I won't be able to realize the boats limitations too much.

Any tips on trickin' it out for fishin' will be much appreciated. I'm thinking 7 or 8 ft rod...med/heavy action...throwing poppers swimmers and maybe some sluggos.

Sounds like people are trolling the tube and worm....man that's cool!!!!!!!

I'll give the info. that I have on the harbor which is not that much, but maybe of some help.

I've fished hull many many times....never did that well there. I almost think the spot is a bit over-rated. Some people will fish a spot just because it has easy access and may not hold the most fish. Hull you're talkin' about parking and casting. I have caught fish there though..........so who knows..

Again thanks for all of the help. Any links or info in what i need to rig up will be much helped.

Stroth