Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yoyo130

How to buy a used kayak?

6 posts in this topic

hey guys,

been yak fishing for about a year or so, really enjoy it, been reding you posts too, real helpful.

I was just wandering if any of you could give me some pointers on buying a used yak. (Before whooping out the wallet)Like what things should i look for? Is amount of use more important or how old it is?

Thanks in advance

yoyo130

Paddle it, in nice calm water, then go back and paddle it in rough water. Since you are new to yaking it may not go straight. That could be your fault or the boats. You can at least see how well it fits and floats you. Try to get someone to go with you that knows how to paddle. Stay away from cockpit boats unless you are trained in self rescue. Mention the make and model here and what you wheigh. Maybe someone here has paddled it before. Ignore scratches worry about cracks. Compare what it sells for new at a dealer to asses what kind of deal it is. Got to www.******* to see what other owners have said about it.

Barrell

Barrel,

I have a question for you. I have an Old Town Loon 138, I love it but in dead calm water I'll cruise along and when I coast, the yak always vears to the right, just slightly. Is there a way to correct this or am I just a putz and it's probably my fault?wink.gif I notice that this yak has 2 rubber pieces under the bow and stern but I'm pretty new at this and don't know much about yakin', I know how to make it go and how to fish. Any suggestions?smile.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

I never paddled a 138. It sounds like you are saying it vears offcourse when you stop paddling. The hull could be twisted I have seen that with Ocean Kayaks. But Old townes Is a real high qaulity company, I doubt it is. Try shifting wheight from one ass cheak to the other as You glide. I think youll find You are putting more wheight on one side of your butt without realizing it. This is actualy an accepted method for starting a turn for experienced kayakers.

Barrell

I've done the old more weight on one side trick because I will do this for a faster turn but even with shifting the wieght the boat will still go slightly right, not enough to bother me. I was just wondering if there are kits to fix this or tricks of the trade.wink.gif

Thanks for the information Barrel.biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Im stumpedd. Maybe the boat was stored improperly and it does have a twist to the hull. I dont know how to test for it other than seeing it with your naked eye.

Barrell