Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jetty eddy

truck cap carrier

6 posts in this topic

Don't know how your cap would compare strenght wise w/ the fiberglas top on a Bronco; but I installed a JCWhitney rack on that and I haul 110#s of kayak [2 yaks] around all the time. Thru bolted w/ backplates were possible.

Going on 4 years now and still good.

Did you bolt it on or does it attatch to windows or something like that. I'll probably have to bolt whatever I put on. TY I'll check the catalog.

You need to find a yakima dealer and get top loader brackets. We sell them all the time to people who drill out their brand new lear caps and install them with no problem. They are basically short fake rain gutters. You then can install any rain gutter racks to the top loader brackets. A cheap pep boys set or top of the line yakima setup it doesnt matter once the brackets are on the cap. Email me for a catlog.

Barrell

I thru bolted the rack right to the top.

But to tell ya the truth, I put the rack on to put a set of rod carriers [ski rack] on the roof. If I had known then that I was gonna be carrying kayaks around I'd have gone w/ the Yakima or maybe Thule setups. Much stronger and a lot more options.

When money permits I will switch to Yakima for the rollerloader assembly. Can't mount it on my rack.

Hey JE,

I have the factory rack from Jeraco(www.jeraco.com)which is the stationary one if you look at their options menu. The factory guy told me that the individual 4 screws per post as opposed to the sliding kind is able to support more weight. I also have a factory rack mounted on the truck cab itself. I use the front bar on the truck CAB and the rear bar on the truck CAP. The rack is made by Panon. I don't have a digital camera but this is what I did. The front rack I use one of the foam blocks made for racks, the back I used, get about a 48" piece of schedule 40(gray) 2" and a 48" piece of 1.5" . I cut the tubing to fit between the center of the two support and then a piece for each end. Slide the 2" inch over the 1.5" and add 6" eye bolt at each end for tie down or stops( you'll have to drill the bar. I ordered the 2 5/8" foam pipe insulation which fit snugly over the 2" pvc. This is like the pool noodles except it fits perfect. Just add some glue to the pvc before sliding on the foam and you have a padded maine roll-on. Link for pipe insulation. http://www.mcmaster.com/asp/enter.asp?sesnextrep=413552083419964&partnum=&sele ctfamily=&cad=&pagenum=1082&psea rch=&search=&pagetype=