Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slowride

LOVE THAT HOBIE

20 posts in this topic

I just got the time to fish the hobie three more tines last week,had the week off.I fish her for 5-6 hours each time, had no soreness or discomfort at all, felt great each time. I can now keep control without even think about it,perfect drifts.The one thing I love the most about the hobie is the dry ride,no more cleaning the sunglasses and no more salt stains on my shorts.The layout of the hobie is perfect,the side trays and drink holders make everything right at your finger tips,I only wish it had a tankwell like my fish n' dive did, but no big deal,thank god for bungees.Had have a lot of comments about her last week,must have told at least ten people to go see barrel.Some guys even told me it look like an manual jet ski,it can really move.Kayak fishing has always been fun, but hobie style is awesome.

I JUST GOT A OUTBACK IN APRIL ALSO. THEY'RE GREAT FOR FISHING. ONE MOD YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER. NO MATER HOW TIGHT YOU MAKE THE RUDDER CABLES, A STRONG STROKE WILL PUSH THE RUDDER OFF CENTER. TAKE A MINI BUNGEE AND SHORTEN IT. HOOK IT OVER THE RUDDER TO THE TWO SPLIT RINGS ON THE RUDDER PIVOT PIN. NO MORE RUDDER DRIFT! I FIND IT A LITTLE DIFICULT TO LAUNCH IN THE SURF, DDUE TO IT'S WEIGHT, BUT ONCE I'M OUT THERE, I CAN FISH ALL DAY.

[ 05-31-2004, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: bigrap ]

I did not have an problem with the rudder yet,have heard of people having trouble with it.I cut an piece of rubber to put under the knob, but did not need it yet.

I've got a problem with it.

My 2nd year now, but without my pickup.

I tried to lift it onto my SUV by myself and nearly lost a family jewel.

Actually it is so cumbersome that I'm afraid to drop it and break the rudder.

I'm trying to think my way out of this one ...

Biggie

Don't know what SUV you have but I have a Bronco. Do you have the Hobie or a scupper plug style cart?

I made a "stand" that holds my cart on it's side so the wheels clear the roof and on my Bronco anyway I can slide the legs under the back crossbar. Then I load the Hobie on the truck backwards. [because of the rudder] Lift the back up and rest it on the back of the truck and then lift the front and it sits on the wheels and rolls onto the rack. Kinda like a Yakima hulleyroller.

See you're an engineer so fabricating something like that should be fun. E-mail and i can try to send a pic if you want.

Works for me!

Good luck

Tim

I have a Roleez with balloon tires and weak factory racks on a KIA sportage.

I'm concerned with beating up the yak or car.

You're idea might work.

I'm hooked, could never go back to the old style yak fishing again. The things you can do with this yak still amaze me.There is some talk on another forum about catching crabs from a yak,one guy post that it would be an more than one yak operation,I think I can run a trotline by myself because I don't have to paddle.I'm going to pick up some pvc pipe and fittings today,a rainy day project. I think I can make an bracket to fit in rear scupper holes and out a few feet so it would be easy to net them and put them in a basket bungee in the front,try that with an paddle in your hand,HA. LOVE THAT HOBIE

I'm fortunate to have a friend in the sporting goods business. When I purchased my outback from him he threw in a comp sail. Haven't tried it yet but would like to know if anyone has tried the OB with a sail and what has been their experience?

The sail makes the boat tip over slightly and then it shoots froard like a sloop. Its hard to get used to being in a yak that is halway to flipping but it never goaes all the way. The sail line is suposed to go all the way back through the rear cleat and then pass under the right elbow to the 4 inch cleat. I prefered to sail just holding directly to the line and sheeting in and out with forearm power. Use your foot propulsion to complete the tack or jibe. With flippers down you can go pretty far up wind. I have a sail at the shop that I lend out if anyone is curious.

Barrell

Love the Hobie but I tried the sail in a stiff breeze last weekend. Flipped it several times. Problem is that with a kayak, you really can't leave the seat to counterbalance the sail when it's pushed over by the wind.

In a light breeze it's great, but it's not going to replace my sunfish as a sailing vessel by any means.

Love my Outback but must admit I am less than thrilled with the sail.

Sandman, when sailing did you leave your Mirage drive fins in the down position? This allows them to act as a keel which should help the flipping problem somewhat.

Yes, I leave the fins in keel position. I was trying on a stiff breeze. On a sunfish I would have leaned out to counterbalance, but you can't do that when sitting down in a kayak. The wind pushed it over to where my center of gravity was over the edge, and over it went. Keeping the sail very loose helped some, but in general I don't find the sail to be stable in a strong wind.