Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Friday's Big Blues

16 posts in this topic

We got out, my brother and I, and he feels that it was the finest day of fishing he's ever had. The fish were way inside the harbor and if it weren't for a gent who told us we wouldn't have known.

Here's my brother's first fish.

Pete-close.JPG

The fish moved outside and here's what it looked like.

Blueblitz.JPG

It was a fish as soon as the chunk hit the water so I started using poppers. They loved them.

Closebent.JPG

boatside.JPG

Plugcaught.JPG

Next time, possibly tomorrow I'm bringing the fly rod.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 10-12-2001).]

Arghh, you're killing me. Great pictures. Thanks for posting them. Can you post directions to where you can launch? JoeV is probably already in his car!

Jim

now Jon you know you're not supposed to be catching fish without me. Great pictures. Glad to see you got into those fish at you know where. hopefully i can get out on the yak again with you sometime soon. talk to you later.

Bassblitz,

I'm working on it, but I might have to get some more points in the bank tomo with my wife. Those babies are actually a little scary lookin'.

Jim

I'm not in car yet but soon jim i was home cant get pm here went back to work got your # called busy I will be there sat am. I will give ya a call in pm joev

Cool Blitz. Got any pictures of those 15# blues you were talking about? No insult here, just that none of those dogs look 15# to me. Fun on fly-gear I'm sure.

JC

As to bigger blues they're in there but I only spent so much time taking photos. I'll take more today. Also I wasn't in a position to take pics of my fish. On average I caught larger fish on Wednesday. Live bunker produced the biggest fish. I actually got a few that would be under 10#s. That didn't happen Wednesday. The smaller fish came on poppers.

My brother, Pete, had one tow him a few hundred yards. I bet that one was a good fish but I caught 3 fish while he was landing that one and wasn't going to chase him to get a pic.

As Joey can attest there are some huge gators in this school. I heard that fish up to 21#s have been weighed in at area tackle shops!

Pmjasper - I don't know how long they'll last. I would imagine that they'll be around until the water temps drop but you never know. Now's the time.

Bassblitz - I'm gonna go late Saturday AM. I've got a buddy from the Poconos who will be getting to my house app. 9 AM so I'll be on the water and into fish around 11. I don't think that my body will be able to handle 3 days in a row.

JimW - Pull up a map on Mapquest for Manorhaven, NY. Parking is at Manorhaven Park. There's a launch ramp. Head out the main channel and keep going left until you curl around to the fish. They can be right in front. In the sailboats to the right, anywhere but from what I've been told they've been around to the left for 3 weeks now.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 10-13-2001).]

Dynamite shots Jon.

I was out in Little Neck Bay at dawn this morning .

Pretty quiet except for a few schoolies around 7:45am.

Thanks for letting us know where you were .

"You know who" apparently didn't want "you know who" to tell "you know who" that you caught these babies "you know where!"

Later.

Jon,

I went to Manorhaven this afternoon.

It seems pretty "launch friendly."

By "main channel" do you mean to follow the shore along the left and come around the bend?

We were married right there at Latitudes which is now D'Maggios.

Love the area!

Later>>>>>>>>>>Mike

Got ready to launch and Harbor patrol asked how we did. I told him we were just getting out. He told me that the bait moved to Hemstead Harbor so we went over there. We each got a few blues but it was nothing like Friday. It was a lot of work. What a difference a day makes.

DASBOOT - tide was irrevelant when the fish were there. Now that they're gone it doesn't matter.

Looks like the blues are gonna start working west.

Jameson - Joey weighed a runt and it went 10#s. The fish in the pics are probably 12-13 or more. Pics can be deceiving.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 10-14-2001).]