Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Awesome Freshwater

7 posts in this topic

I hit the local Res. only to find it the lowest I've ever seen it. It was down 8-10'. I figured that I'd see structure that I had never seen above water before.

Heading north I ran into baitfish being harrassed on the surface. there were several groups of them. Every now and then a fish would slash through. I tried throwing a Storm Wildeye and didn't get anything so I threw in a Slammer Worm, which was on the other rod and hooked up with a nice smallie. I had a bigger one on a bit later but it came off and that was it. I marked plenty of fish but couldn't hook up. So I worked north. I caught a lot of fish and left because I finnished all my water and was very hungry. The fish averaged 15" plus and I ended up with 8-9 smallies to 18" and about 30 largemouths up to 5 pounds. ALl but 3 fish were caught on Slammers rigged wacky with a circle hook. Awesome moring. I started fishing about 7:30 or so and quit a bit after noon.

Its supposed to be very windy tomorrow. The wind was kicking up when I left. Joey's talking about Glen Island or somewhere over there Saturday. There's a lot of fish in his neck of the woods right now. Bass up to 30" and blues. Just like last summer. Jersey hits the doldrums and NY gets hot.

By the way the launch on the west side is fine to the water. I went on the east side and the mud was thick.

I'm going somewhere. If it's windy I'll hit the lake to the South. there are a few places to avoid a NW wind. If NY is hot I would be very interested.

I'm up for Sat Glenn Is. JoeB, right over the George Washing Bridge and up 95 a short ride. Closer than your usual haunts on LI.

[This message has been edited by saltyh2ofly (edited 07-05-2002).]