Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tomasas

thinking of buying my first kayak

14 posts in this topic

looking for any info... i'm 6'6" and 220-230 lbs...

mostly will be used for fishing in the back bays and from time to time in the surf...

the place i usually fish will be under heavy construction for next 4-5 years... kayak might be an answer...

planning to get a used one to start.

Thanks

Tomasas,

Cobra fish and dive is a great choice. is a big yak, Im 6'3", 300 and I fit fine and it is a very stable platform. Its a little big and slow, but I dont care, its safe and capable of landing big fish with ease.

as for prices, you should expect to spend $500-$600 just for a used/good condition yak, and up to $750 for one that is loaded (rod holders, storage, seat, paddle etc...)

I can help out as I did this search last year myself.. for a big guy, we have very few options, I choose safety and comfort over speed...

BC

The Fish and Dive would be good, you can also ckeck into a Emotion Fisherman. Thats what I paddle smile.gif . Its not the fastest Yak out there but I got it for a great price and there is tons of room to set it up the way you want it. Rollcast

The Emotion Fisherman or the Ocean Kayak Drifter would work well for you. There much faster than the FnD and you'll be able to cover more territory. The Drifter is super stable.

For your size I would recommend the Malibu eXtreme or X-factor. Very stable and very fishable for us "larger" guys. I demo'ed a lot of boats before buying my eXtreme and found it to have all of the things I was looking for in a kayak.

Don;t let the "tippy" issues bug oyu, after a few hours on the water, you'll be over that tippy feeling. The FnD is a good yak, the Fisherman and extreme are better in my opinion. Handles a big load and has some real ability to move. Be sure and get a rudder if you get the larger yaks. Big difference. S

The links page from the home page here has some good information including side by side comparisons.

I am thinking about getting a kayak this year or next to take out in Cold Spring Harbor. I found the sites very helpful -- safety over size, good info on storage and seating. Let me know how you make out.

I have the Emotion Fisherman, at 6'6" 270, its a comfortable ride. I got mine with one hatch to start and added two this winter. Lots of room above and below deck for storage and mounting. I don't have the rudder, thought about getting one for it but after a few trips decieded that its easier to change my direction withthe paddle. Its a big yak at 14' and 30inches wide but it glides fairly well. Not gonna set any speed records but youll get where your going.

Malibu eXtreme is a very good big guys kayak,such as the others mentioned.The eX has a bit more storage and more speed than most of the other boats.You have to get out and try them all.That's the best way to see what you are comfortable with.

Dont forget the Ocean Kayak Prowler. I am 6'3", 240. The prowler is 15", 4.5" and very stable. I have had mine about 10 months and love it. Has a great tank well and is easy getting off and on in the water. I have gotten back on in 5 foot of water without difficulty. Good luck with your purchase but with any purchase of any kayak, demo, demo, demo first!

thank you guys for the responses... i guess i'll have to spend some time driving around and trying different kayaks... will sure post the results...

Thanks again.

I use a necky cruiser 2. Its a tandem but it can be taken solo for big guys. Its a big boat has lots of room and hatches and extremely stable. The best part is that alot of kayak rental places use these as rentals so at the end of season you can get one for about $450(w/o rudder)-$550(w/rudder) used. The thing is bulletproof as far as toughness goes and the only disadvantage is the size 17'. Wish you luck and happy yakkin.