Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfrat666

My first kayak bass (Same as KFStuff posting)

2 posts in this topic

Thanks to all who have posted tips on using the Tube and Worm and Jon thanks for getting them to me so quickly. I finally had a nice calm morning today to troll the sandbars off of Jones Inlet I've been looking to try. I set up with the JoeV tube/rudder setup and a nice fat sandworm. 6 paddle strokes later the rod lurched and I was thinking "It can't be that easy, I've barely left the beach"...Turns out to be a blue in the 5 lb range which mercifully spit the hook at yakside. Best thing about that blue was that it gave me confidence in the rig. I'd read all about how good the TnW is but there's nothing like experiencing it yourself to know you're doing it right.

I threw on a fresh worm and off I went toward the bars. For the next 15-20 minutes things were quiet and I approached a group of surfcasters that were on the beach. It was high water and pretty flat so I used them as a marker to approximate where the bar started. I stayed about 1/4 mile out so as not to irk anyone (I know as a surfcaster that having boats within casting range can be quite annoying). I use braid so it's tough to know exactly how much line I had out but I'd say about 100-150 ft. Just as the tube was passing in front of the surfcasters I felt a sharp hit and then Wham! fish on (No mistaking that for seaweed or bottom). Fish took some drag which was set too light and then we went back and forth for a while. I had another rod in the milkcrate in the front so I had to keep the fish on the right side of the boat which resulted in occasional slack getting in the line (much different from surfcasting where the fish usually just run away from you). Just as I got it close to the boat, it threw the hook

Oh well...new worm and back at it. About 20 minutes later the next fish hit...This one I set the hook a bit more when I grabbed the rod and decided to fight it perpendicular with my feet hanging off of one side...this worked much better and I kept the line a lot tighter. Watch out for that final lunge when fish sees the yak! Finally grabbed the bass and measured her against the yak markings which had it at about 33-34" (probably 15lbs)...Quick kiss to the first yak Bass for me and back she went!

Next fish hit about 1/2 hour later just as I had started to turn in my trolling pattern. No warning strike first but just one vicious hit. It would best be described as violent as I felt the rod butt pushing into my kidney from the seat holders and the kayak lurched dangerously to the side. Fish came right up to the top and I saw the tail...Uh Oh BIG bluefish. This one gave a hell of a fight...fortunately the tube was helpful in grabbing the fish and then i was able to then grab it by the tail. I'd say it was in the 10-12 lb range with a big head and shoulders...That beat the hell out of the cocktail blues I'd only caught up till that point.

That was it for the fish but it was a morning I'll never forget. I'm just glad I was able to get out before I start my new job tomorrow (vacation will be a ways off but I'll be at it again every chance I get). Think I'll buy a boga grip now

The Rat

Salth20fly, after spending the AM of the Westchester article with us, declared that the tube and worm should be declared illegal or something akin to that. He saw a lot of fish caught with it that AM. I got at least 10 til I ran out of worms, JOey got 20, etc.