Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tyurke

trolling motor on kayak

65 posts in this topic

Hi Tyurke, welcome to the site. I guess you didn't get a chance to fully read the agreement, but Tim says no links, so you gotta remove the above or one of the fine leaders will do it for you.

As for a trolling motor...not everyone can paddle, not everyone can afford a fll size boat, but a yak and trolling motor is cheap and gets the job done. Now get out and yak. S

hey i was browsing through the topics and this one caught my eye because i just had a chance about a week and a half ago to get a trolling motor for pretty cheap and i was thining about attaching it to my yak but then i thought to myself "how would i ever do that" and at that i dissmissed the notion of buying it and if no one has bought it yet i would like to if i can figure out how to use it with my yak

thanks a bunch

You should only consider putting a motor on the yak if it is big enough,wide enough,and stable enough to handle the wheight of the motor and the heavy deep cycle batterie you will need. Only yaks aproaching 34 inches or wider should be considered. Note that you will be required to register with the state ,the yak every year if you put a motor on it.

Barrell

If you live in NJ good luck at the DMV. I was going to do this 3 years ago with my fish ' dive and got the run around each time I went,every time I went I had what they asked for the time before and they added something else to the list. I gave up after the trying four times and not getting any where. I was thinking maybe it was just the a-holes in bridgeton DMV, but some others posted the same thing. It can be done if you find the right DMV, as others did get theirs legal.I went to an hobie for the hands free fishing I was looking for and could not be more pleased. I don't think I could had have as much control as I do now with the motor and no wasted spaced.Good luck, I hope you can do better than I did, but there is always the hobie way, the fishing has never been better.

hey i was browsing through the topics and this one caught my eye because i just had a chance about a week and a half ago to get a trolling motor for pretty cheap and i was thining about attaching it to my yak but then i thought to myself "how would i ever do that" and at that i dissmissed the notion of buying it and if no one has bought it yet i would like to if i can figure out how to use it with my yak

thanks a bunch

Of the methods I have seen, the one I found best is to use a (milk bottle type) crate behind the seat then attach a motor mount to it. The crate can hold the battery, just make sure you are able to strap it down well. That will put the trolling motor just behind you and the handle to your side.

Only thing remaining to deal with is the shaft length. You can leave it alone or shorten it. That redo can be a pain but it can be done.

Not to post a link, but you should be able to find pics of this in the DIY forum at (LINK removed)

[ 10-06-2005, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

Here is a "how to mount a trolling motor on yak".

no commercial links please

I would have to agree with slowride. Look at the hobie sport, outback and adventure. I have the Hobie Sport and think it's great.

[ 08-30-2005, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Ed J ]

If you have the certificate of manufacture or a copy from the maker you should have no problem at the DMV. They want to see a serial number on something official looking. Assuming you also have a boat operators lisense you should be good to go. Once I had these I was in and out of Morisstown in ten minutes. You can renew every year through the mail just like all other licenses and registrations.

You don't necessarily need a big battery or a really wide yak. My 120 works just fine with a 35 amp Hr battery that weighs about 25#'s. The position of the battery in the front hatch on the side opposite the motor along with the sidemount motor makes for big initial stability and secondary that is through the roof.

The major advantages of this are big increases in range and a lot less worry about headwinds. I can paddle against the wind for just so long and when I stop I lose ground. The motor doesn't get tired.

You can also set it up in a modular fashion so that you can take the motor or leave it in your truck in case of really shallow water or weedy ponds. I've yet to take it through the surf and I'm not sure I will either but I'm no worse off there than before.

Is it as good as a Hobie. On balance I would have to say no but the whole rig, motor, battery, charger and kayak will likely run you $500 t0 $600 less.

Hi

Ocean Kayaks actually made an Anglers yak which was designed to be fitted with an an electric trolling motor if desired. They built a well behind the seat to house a heavy duty battery. I forget the name of it now. It was discontinued about two years ago but I mentioned this Yak to Ocean whilst on my search for my own Yak and they said that they are considering going back into production with it. If anyones interested I have been told that some UK dealer still have these models in stock.

Let me know and I will see what I can find out this side of the pond if anyone is inetrrested in getting hold of one of these Yaks.

Regards

Mike O.

Mike: The name is OK "Ambush". In an absolute wig out, I tried to attach a 2 hp Honda motor to mine without effective results. It will handle any transom mounted electric on the market though and, as mentioned previously, has a nice deep well that will handle a deep cycle battery. It was a design that was suited to duck hunters and a "two man heft" to a top loader or even a light trailer (hull is 100 lbs stripped). I'm trying to sell mine as I couldn't get the kids into kayak fishing. The boat is a marvel though- unsinkable, untippable.

I have an Islander Mon Tiki that is a hybred sort of yak. You can paddle, row with oars, put a sail kit on it or a motor with battery on/in the provided mount/well in the hull. I have used it flyfishing and you can stand up in it and cast. The beam is 39" and extremely stable. I just won 2 Heritage yaks and am considering selling the Mon Tiki. If anyone interested look in the BST section.

Here's my second one, I'm taking it out tomorrow for a shakedown before final wiring. First it's mounted on a 9.5 sit-in, it is held on with nutserts and than bolted down, it's a very strong, tight fit. The left pedal have a rocker swith for direction (steering)and the right has a momentary button for very slow manuvering speeds both f&r. The Motor will disconnect for transport. The throttle handle is mounted under my sonar. 5 speeds forward and 3 back I expect to reach top speed of 7 MPH. I mostly fish fresh water, and once in a while I head into the Thames river. Guys who have never used a rudder or motor don't knock it. I ruined my elbows and wrists paddling, to the point where it hurts to set the strike. I can cover much more water than a paddler, and can always paddle if I wish too.

MVC-005F.JPG

Tight Lines

Steve

Here's my 1st one, It's an old minn-kota 28, variable speed , no reverse, the steering is by cables to the pedals which have the locks removed. Top speed is 4.7 mph and will run for about 8 hours on a standard 12 car battery.Mounting it is very easy , I cut the clamping part of the transom mount. Drill holes and install nutserts into the Kayak and than use stainless mounting hardward. 1year of use and no problems.

yak1.jpg

Tight Lines

Steve

There is a motorized Kayak out there. Pretty cool one of my buds purchased one. Move pretty quick and stable enough to stand up in. I believe it is called a "Mokia". There are made in New Jersey and only available from the builder. The motor is jet drive and removable.