Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tomh

truck bed extender for kayak transport

7 posts in this topic

As suggested on this site I bought a bed extender from Harbor Frieght for $39.99

It works great and holds my fully rigged scupper pro. I can load my yak on to my truck bed with minimal effort in minutes and chase stripers around from spot to spot. You will need a class III receiver hitch which cost around $130.00 installed. It's worth it to get the hitch installed since it took the guy at U-haul over an hour to do it, and he supposedly knows what he'd doing

tomh

Glad you like it. Nice hey?

It's ALLOT nicer than emptying the yak and all tht overhead lifting!

FWIW, I'm using the harbor freight bed extender in my short bed Toyota Taco. Easily hauls my 13'8" loon and has on occasion hauled a 15'Canoe w it. ( Even did a 17' ladder once)In teh short bed. ( 78" if memory serves) I get a support point of about9.5' from the bed wall. As long as the CG is in front of that and the cargo reasonably rigid, I'd haul almost anything that way. The only down side I find is that I get nervous if I have to go into CITY TRAFFIC. Fortunatly, most of my hauling is in the country.

Dave

Joe, I usually unload mine too........at least when it rides on the camper

but when you unload it, its what take out the worm bag and 2 extra rigs wink.gif

I emailed ya I was thinking up yer way this weekend. I lost yer numbers, gimme a call.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

My truck is a Toyota Tacoma and the scupper is 14"7'. I think the bed is 7". I'm a little nervous about getting slammed into from the rear so I tie on a reflective warning triangle to the back of my yak for greater visability.

I forget the law exactly but one does require that a red flag of x square inches be hung from anyhing extending x feet from the bed anyway. I keep a rope tied into the bed with a snap hook and flag on the other end. After I slide the yak in, it's just that one rope to the carry handle and I'm off. Hopefully with the flag( or triangle) there is plenty to catch someones attention. It's nice to know though if there ever was an accident that I was in compliance for insurence purposes. So far, I've been hauling this way for 3 years and not even a close call.

Dave