AndyS

Thread for Skiff Owners

Rate this topic

332 posts in this topic

@bospa357    great looking boat i have a similar that my father in law re-did   would love to turn it into a side console or center.  did you do that to yours yourself? if so i need as much info on how to make this happen . please.

i tried to pm you , nut it said i didnt have permission

The skiff is 18 long I think 6.5 at the gunwale I am running a 40 four stroke, built from the building manual Tolman Alaskan Skiff. Started life as a tiller open skiff than after 2 years added the deck and console.

@bospa357    great looking boat i have a similar that my father in law re-did   would love to turn it into a side console or center.  did you do that to yours yourself? if so i need as much info on how to make this happen . please.

i tried to pm you , nut it said i didnt have permission

Mine came from the factory as a side console. That's how Stur-Dee builds their 16' skiffs. The 14' of the same design comes as a tiller model.

You may want to contact the factory in RI as they also make the 16' without the side console. So maybe it's a part you can buy from them and either glass it in or screw on.

Hey Rickbjr, the elevated cooler seat that you made, is it really sturdy to lean on? I wanna do something siimilar but wanted to ask.you how strong that is.i was think of using 3/4. And instead os screwing through the cooler i was gonna make a small lup ariund the cooler and use my tie downs to hold it down. Do you guys rhink that is a bad idear? I want to ask some other guys opinions before i pay the money for the starboard since its so expensive. Thanks guys for all you help!

Thanks.. I was actually talking more on the lines of the controlls turning my tiller into a console driven.. what wpuld be needed to do this lines controls etc.

You'll need to first check into whether or not your motor can be converted to remote control. And if so, the cost of doing it. You might find it easier to trade or sell your current motor and swap out for a remote style. Again, I bought mine already set up that way.

1985 Hewes bonefisher II 90 Yamma 2 stroke 17' - 10"

It's not a skiff, it's a LAPPY! :D

Peace

Hey Rickbjr, the elevated cooler seat that you made, is it really sturdy to lean on? I wanna do something siimilar but wanted to ask.you how strong that is.i was think of using 3/4. And instead os screwing through the cooler i was gonna make a small lup ariund the cooler and use my tie downs to hold it down. Do you guys rhink that is a bad idear? I want to ask some other guys opinions before i pay the money for the starboard since its so expensive. Thanks guys for all you help!

StripersBR - Yep very sturdy. It is 2 pieces of 1 inch King Starboard screwed together. The outside corners were sanded round . No movement in any direction whatsoever. Movement was my concern as well while building it. I wasn't real concerned about forward and backward as I was about side to side. But It does not move in any direction.

Sorry but can't help you with your idea with the tie downs cause I don't understand what you mean.