AndyS

Thread for Skiff Owners

Rate this topic

332 posts in this topic

I have a similar boat with a center console but not with storage compartments in the front or rear of the boat.

If I cut into the hull (underneath the rear seats or on the bow) would I find some kind of foam, or would it be empty?

How difficult would it be to add a gas tank similar to cabissi(or even under the rear seats) and run the line to the motor?

thanks!

You'll find foam under there. If the boat is a year or more old, you'll find balsa under the floor, otherwise the newer ones have foam there as well (thankfully!). Removing a little foam from the area's you're talking about, while it would "void" the Coast Guard certification of the boat's safety, probably wouldn't be a big deal IF you were able to fully glass off the compartment so there was no way for water to enter the cavities. Personally, I don't poke any holes in mine; not even happy about the 4 little screws the dealer installed to hold the battery down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rshackleford View Post

I have a similar boat with a center console but not with storage compartments in the front or rear of the boat.

If I cut into the hull (underneath the rear seats or on the bow) would I find some kind of foam, or would it be empty?

How difficult would it be to add a gas tank similar to cabissi(or even under the rear seats) and run the line to the motor?

thanks!

Both the front locker and rears were empty. The foam runs down the sides. When I spoke with Heidi who now runs the company, she had no idea how it was built this way. I think all the new ones are tottaly filled with foam. Send her an email or give her a call. Be patient on a reply if they are in the middle building them. If I get a chance soon I'll post a picture of the front were I had storage under the bench seat that I replaced with the cooler.

thanks!

Oh yeah, installing a gas tank under the rear seats without sealing the enclosure and a positive ventilation system = boat bomb. My gas tank sits under the rear board seat with a bungee cord to a couple of hooks under the seat. Keeps it from sliding around, out of the way and still fully vented and easy to get to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanKing View Post

Oh yeah, installing a gas tank under the rear seats without sealing the enclosure and a positive ventilation system = boat bomb. My gas tank sits under the rear board seat with a bungee cord to a couple of hooks under the seat. Keeps it from sliding around, out of the way and still fully vented and easy to get to.

I do the same. When driving to the launch this helps to keep all my gear there tied down too.

I picked up a couple of older fishing boats this year. A 1975 Starcraft 14 foot aluminum. I put a Nissan 9.8 on the back. Relatively no trouble, I keep her moored in salt water. So far I've caught about 20 fish. 15 blue fish and about 5 strippers. Unfortunately all schoolies that went back in. My second boat is a cheap 1972 24 foot Stamas. Inboard out board chevy 250. OMC Outdrive. A little trouble mechanical wise this season, but she's great. Kind of slow. 10mph. But sturdy and a great fishing machine. No matter your rig, never give up your dreams! Keep fishing, stay safe in boating, and share your adventures with your children.

DSC_1038.JPG

DSC_1037.JPG

IMG142.jpg

my sled, 1968 starcraft I rescued from some guys backyard 2 days before it went to the scrap yard. I gutted the hull and built her back to suit my needs of fishing for stripers here on my local river. Im running a 60 hp merc with a plate. I had a welder make the aluminum center console. I worked on her for 6 months but I feel it was well worth it considering the minimul investment in comparison to a new boat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10weight View Post

DSC_1038.JPG

DSC_1037.JPG

IMG142.jpg

my sled, 1968 starcraft I rescued from some guys backyard 2 days before it went to the scrap yard. I gutted the hull and built her back to suit my needs of fishing for stripers here on my local river. Im running a 60 hp merc with a plate. I had a welder make the aluminum center console. I worked on her for 6 months but I feel it was well worth it considering the minimul investment in comparison to a new boat.

Hey 10weight how long is that boat?

1970 Sears Gamefisher I just rigged up for my 13 year old son. An Evinrude 7.5 is powering her and he's been having a ball on it. We bought it for $1.00 and after a few bucks repairing a cracked chine, hole in the bow, etc. A little paint, new 6 gallon tank and lots of elbow work he's buzzing about the bay having a ball. 1000

Maidened my J16 today. Just me on board she ran like a raped ape - at least to me - 31 mph. CS J16 pushed by a Merc 25 efi 4 stroke. New double sized deck, this is going to be a flats killing machine in the everglades.