Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doug

WS Tarpon

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone have an idea if and when they are going to come out with the tankwell model??.I am very interested in this yak.Joe V how much faster is your tarpon compared to the navigator you had in wind chop??.I need to paddle about 2+ miles to get to my spots. I don't mind the exercise just the time involved.My options seem to be the tarpon,cobras expedition or that powered yak that Jim is getting.I need something fast n fishable HELP!!

Thanks Doug M

I just read a review of the WS Tarpon at www.Sit-On-Top-Kayaking.com. The model they reviewed had a tankwell, so I'm sure you can have one ordered. Good luck finding what you want! I'm hoping I can test paddle someone's Tarpon at the flats fling, my Cobra Explorer is slow!

[This message has been edited by MikeC (edited 03-05-2002).]

Doug, there's a great post on the yakfish board by Fishin Magician about his Cobra Expedition set up for fishing. I have no doubt that its the fastest SOT around. Sounds like something like a Tarpon would be more versatile and still have good speed.

Another option to increase speed and range is to install www.lightperformanceworks.com to a ruddered SOT.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 03-06-2002).]

Doug I tried a Tourer wich is supposed to be faster than a Navigator.The Expidition should be faster.Dont know about stability though.JimW also thought the Tarpon was pretty quick.I think you will have to try those models out before shelling out the dough for one.

joev

One other thing Doug was that turning in the seat sideways was very easy.Reaching into back hatch was also very easy.Dont think that it will be a problem accessing stuff in there.You can also setup some kind of crate or box to the top of the hatch.That would ease your access to your tackle.

Doug 2 miles ?Are ya paddling to CT from LI ?

wink.gif

joev

[This message has been edited by joev (edited 03-06-2002).]

I spoke with WS yesterday and they don't even have a TW Tarpon on the drawing board. They have discussed it though. The yak was designed for non-fisherman as all yaks are. I told him that fisherman need TWs for bait tanks, etc. They've heard that a lot.

The Tourer is significantly faster than the Navigator. Ask ST. It appears that the Tarpon is even faster. I would think that the Expedition would be about the fastest SOT around. A few west coast guys are fishing them. Fishin Magician has a great post on the yakfish forum about the Expedition. Very informative. That's a good place to start to evaluate it as a choice.

Sharp1's yak is fast too. Ask him more about it.