Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Bald Head

Safe kayaking Near Montauk?

7 posts in this topic

can anyone suggest a relatively calm place to kayak-fish in the Montauk area? I will be out there for three days over Columbus Day weekend, and while the tides are not optimal at the Point (for surf-fishing), I want to try some yak-fishing.

However, I'm relatively new to this and would like to avoid spots with heavy surf, although I'm comfortable in small stuff (like Manhasset Bay, or the Susky Flats).

I've thinking about Gin Beach and the Harbor, also Accobenac Bay and inlet. can anyone provide some other good spots to paddle and fish in the Montauk-to-Shinnec0ck area?

Niot looking for secret spots, just a place to tool around...and if you see me in a yellow Perception Acadia (with milk-crate on back), please say hello... biggrin.gif

Thanks!!

-- Doug

------------------

-- Big Bald Head

derrett@environcorp.com

fish4errett@aol.com

Rough water has a lot to do with 2 main factors. Wind and swell. So a lot depends upon those variables. I haven't been there enough to go into specifics of give advice.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 10-04-2002).]

can anyone suggest a relatively calm place to kayak-fish in the Montauk area? I will be out there for three days over Columbus Day weekend, and while the tides are not optimal at the Point (for surf-fishing), I want to try some yak-fishing.

However, I'm relatively new to this and would like to avoid spots with heavy surf, although I'm comfortable in small stuff (like Manhasset Bay, or the Susky Flats).

I've thinking about Gin Beach and the Harbor, also Accobenac Bay and inlet. can anyone provide some other good spots to paddle and fish in the Montauk-to-Shinnec0ck area?

Niot looking for secret spots, just a place to tool around...and if you see me in a yellow Perception Acadia (with milk-crate on back), please say hello... biggrin.gif

Thanks!!

-- Doug

Try Shagwong Point on the north side and east towards the point. The furthest east you want to go is probably "stepping stones". Maybe further, but it depends on the wind and tide.

Gin Beach is easy and you can paddle to Shagwong if you can't obtain the permit to drive there. You'll need the 4x4 permit to reach Stepping Stones, Clarks Cove and Rocky Pt (go to Montauk Downs for the permit). Be aware you will be surrounded by shore fisherman or power boats if you find the fish. Montauk fishermen have yet to accept aternate means of fishing, fly rod and kayak. No one seems to care about the next guy, I have several discussions with guys standing behind me, casting over me and parking there trucks right behind my casting. Even if you find the fish first you'll be pushed out! Nice bunch really, just a few people with no brains.

Find "Louse Point" on a map.

The "secret lure" used to be Ozark Mountain's "Big Game Woodchopper" but I have no idea if they are still in business. A jointed Pikie might not be a bad choice either. You have to get dropped off, or you will get a parking ticket.

Flounder

Flounder: what are you giving my place away for?? Opposite Louse Point is Girard Point and they both form the entrance Accabonac Harbor. Watch for cops as they check for East Hampton Town parking permits.

Girard Drive, the only place in Amagansett where the drinking water isn't potable!

I almost bought Asa Miller's place in the 70's. He was an old-time 'bonnacker for sure, lived to 80-something. (Too bad I didn't buy)!

When I bought my truck, it had a EH permit from it;s previous owner! No expiration date either!

Remarkable, ain't it? The whole harbor flows out through that narrow channel? Hardly a secret though, seeing as it's just 300 feet from the 4WD entrance.

Flounder

[This message has been edited by Flounder (edited 10-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Flounder (edited 10-11-2002).]