Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christian White

Strange Catch!

5 posts in this topic

I got out early this morning to look for some stripers and put in just down from the Key Bridge on the Patapsco River (Baltimore, MD). Started out looking for bait with a sabiki with no success, so I decided to troll with a Wildeye. In about 10 feet of water, I had a huge strike, in fact I thought I snagged bottom. It was a couple of moments before something suddenly made a blistering run, in fact breaking the surface with a large splash. I couldn't ID what it was and was towed around for nearly 20 minutes with no clues. When I finally brought the beast to the surface, I was very surprised to discover a large ray (perhaps 40 pounds). Surprised, that is, to actually find a stingray in the Patapsco, as well as surprised that it hit a trolled lure that was no where near the bottom. I have no clue what kind of ray it was; it was a dark brown on top, similar to a catfish in color. Any ideas? Sure was a great ride though; pulled way harder than any striper I ever hooked.

I'd guess a cownosed ray, but I've not heard of them that far north. You are from PA, right? I just launched my yak for the first time. If ya wanna hook up sometime, drop me a line.

CW, with as dry as it has been I am sure the salt line is higher up in the bay than normal. Years ago they netted a large Bull Shark in Aberdeen of a few hundred pounds. Though Bulls are more tolerant of freshwater, rays and sharks have simularities.

Wet wading anyone? wink.gif

Manowar, I'm from Red Lion, PA and I see you're from York. You must be within 15 minutes of me or so. Where did you put in for your maiden voyage? If you want to hit the water locally sometime, let me know. Lake Williams is nice since the big boats can't launch there (no ramp), and since it's full again you don't have to drag your yak 100 yards to get to the water.

A few years back I foul hooked a Cow Nose Ray wading the backside of Sandy Hook NJ. That was a tough beast to pull in on my fly rod. In 1996 and 1997 I saw them caught a few times in that area once the water was over 70F.