Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raregroove

Launching site info on Whitestone Br needed

4 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has info on where to launch Queens side of the Whitestone bridge. Haven't fished/kayaked there yet but am interested. What about McNeil Park at College Point? I have been catching schoolie stripers from shore nearby and hope to get some bigger fish from the yak. Any help appreciated.

Only spot I know of presently is at College Point Yacht club near Tullman Water Treatment plant in College Point.

Thanks guys, looking forward to that last minute run Jon S. mentioned.

I haven't been to these places in a few years but if its the same as before you'll be able to launch there.

1. Francis Lewis Park is directly under the Whitestone Bridge 3rd Ave & 147 Street. Theres a small beach you can launch from.

2.Powells Cove Park located at 12th Ave 132street. Good spot to fish.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Flyrodder,

I will definitely check out the park near the Whitestone. A friend pulled a big striper from under the Whitestone recently and I'm interested in trying that water. Don't know about the currents yet though, I might try to dig up a map.

I shore fish from Powells Cove and love it there. I've been wanting to take the yak out there (via the little area next to Tullman on the other side of the point). I'll probably try this weekend if I can dodge the weather. Actually launching in Powell's Cove seems tough as there don't seem to be any access areas that you won't sink into the mud first.

If you or anyone else want's to fish these areas let me know. Thanks again for the tip.

good luck,

raregroove

I advise against trying to fish under the Whitestone Bridge because of the current.

You may get OUT ok, but getting BACK is another question.

Nonetheless, I can't make up your mind for you. So I will share my knowlege of local waters. Take Van Wyck to 20th Av exit, go toward the stores (Old Navy, Target, etc).

Continue PAST the stores to 127th St.

Make a right on 127th St and take it to the end. This is TALLMANS ISLAND. There is a path leading to the left, this goes out to the dock. You want to go RIGHT to the dead end. If you portage your kayak just a bit further, you will see Powells Cove. The other side of Powells Cove is the bridge, you will see that too. The shoreline here is rocky, but not too bad. Go look in daylight/low tide.

Here's what will happen. You launch, you paddle across the cove. You bear left (North) to get under the bridge. As soon as you pass the point, the current will take you. It would be a struggle to get back to your launching spot even now, but if the current carries you past the bridge, you stand virtually NO chance of paddling back. You will end up continuing to Fort Totten, leaving your kayak there, and taking a taxi back to College Point. If the current is running the other way, you will never make it to the bridge.

The cove itself is too shallow to hold fish. The only time you catch there is when the Bluefish push the bunker into shore. In Springtime, the mud warms fast, and schoolies on worms is a cure for cabin fever. THAT'S IT. Casting from shore under the bridge is a possibility. 80' deep water is a long cast away. You'd need a lot of weight to hold bottom here. Plugs from the beach is a better bet.

Flounder