Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dadinthesuds

anyone have the "surf to summit gts expedition "seat for sot ???

15 posts in this topic

did alot of research on seats with better back support for my ocean kayak prowler big game. the ok seats just dont cut it on this 49 yr old back. after reading reviews and details on many seat options, i went with the surf to summit gts high back. got it from austin kayak at a lower than others price of $152 w/ free ship. got it yestrday, back support seems very sturdy though the bottom part is stiff. i think i will be more comfortable with this seat and last longer out on the water. anyone here have their own reviews on this seat ????

I too am looking at a better seat for my next Hobie purchase. I have looked at the surf to sumit seats and was ready to pull the trigger on the purchase, but have since held of, because I've have seen the King Fisher seat by Feel Free, and the Skwoosh Big Catch high back seats. To me, both of these seats look to be alittle better than the surf to sumit models. But I haven't purchased anything yet. Still researching it.

Hutch

did alot of research on seats with better back support for my ocean kayak prowler big game. the ok seats just dont cut it on this 49 yr old back. after reading reviews and details on many seat options, i went with the surf to summit gts high back. got it from austin kayak at a lower than others price of $152 w/ free ship. got it yestrday, back support seems very sturdy though the bottom part is stiff. i think i will be more comfortable with this seat and last longer out on the water. anyone here have their own reviews on this seat ????

I had one years ago and found that the back support was fine but I still got a sore butt.

You will still need a good seat pad . I did anyway.

I bought a GTS Elite seat a few years back for my P-13. Unfortunately it wound up being uncomfortable as hell. Like spitdog, my bottom was still sore. In fact, it was more sore than with the std Ocean Kayak seat that it meant to replace. I sold it on eBay fast!

I wound up getting a foam stadium pad from Dick's and use it underneath my stock OK seat. Works fine and was an inexpensive solution.

Since you just bought that from AKC and have not used it yet, I would exchange it for this one Skwoosh High Back Seat with Lumbar Support, They also stock this plus you will get a few bucks back.

The gel seat is what your after for comfort. Even though I don't think the lumbar support is needed they do have it in stock and it would be an easy return. You will love the gel seat. No more rolling your butt around after 2 hrs trying to keep it from going numb.

I wouldn't say these guys are "wrong", but my experience is different. The GTS elite seat I have is the most comfortable for me of any, and I've owned a bunch. The gel seat I have is OK, but the GTS is better. I would not be in a rush to send it back.

The surf to summit seat is great. I really like it. Very comfortable. It does raise your center of gravity a bit but not to the point that you feel less stable.

Make sure your rinse of the brass clips after each trip to the salt water. Also hit them with wd-40 so they keep working. I have had mine for 4 years.

The best seats I have ever owned. I use them all the time. I opted for the low back so the back of my pfd rests above the seat back so I can sit straight

up. Ocean kayak stock seats are thin as cardboard. They should give you a credit toward a real seat when you purchase your kayak instead of

including their junky seats. :)

I wouldn't say these guys are "wrong", but my experience is different. The GTS elite seat I have is the most comfortable for me of any, and I've owned a bunch. The gel seat I have is OK, but the GTS is better. I would not be in a rush to send it back.

Funny how everyone's experience is different. ;) The GTS Elite has some great reviews, so I thought I had a winner. If you choose to try it and don't like it, you probably won't be out much if you get rid of it. I didn't lose much, then found something that worked for me. Come to think of it, it was kross that found those foam cushions and told me about them; and it was Sports Authority, not Dicks. :D

Ocean kayak stock seats are thin as cardboard. They should give you a credit toward a real seat when you purchase your kayak instead of

You said it! :beatin:

I think that Ocean Kayak used to call their seat the "Comfort Plus". The only "plus" about it is that you have to add something to the seat to make it comfortable. In my case, a foam cushion.

I vote in favor of the Elite seat. I've got one, used it more than two years, and have a OK PBG too.

I tend to do multi-day overnight trips and on the third consecutive day in the yak, you'll be glad to have the upgraded seat.

The surf to summit seat is great. I really like it. Very comfortable. It does raise your center of gravity a bit but not to the point that you feel less stable.

Make sure your rinse of the brass clips after each trip to the salt water. Also hit them with wd-40 so they keep working. I have had mine for 4 years.

The best seats I have ever owned. I use them all the time. I opted for the low back so the back of my pfd rests above the seat back so I can sit straight

up. Ocean kayak stock seats are thin as cardboard. They should give you a credit toward a real seat when you purchase your kayak instead of

This is the surf to summit seat I purchased:

GTS Pro Kayak Sit-On-Top

I really like it.

I have been using it for 4 years .

No problems.

I think it's very true that everyone has a different experience,....I also think that what's comfortable in a paddle kayak might not be comfortable in a Hobie where you sit in more of a reclined position.

My buddy pedals a Hobie revo while I have an Adventure. A year or two ago, in a snow-induced spending spree, my buddy bought a gts expedition seat, and I bought their "SB" model (which has the same back, with a thinner seat cushion to keep your center of gravity low...). Within a few months of use however, we both went back to our standard Hobie seats,... Which we each eventually decided, had more comfortable back support for our pedaling posture,....especially in the lumbar region. I should add that both of us also have osteoarthritus in our spines ....so "butt comfort" is more of a secondary issue for us!

On a side note, my buddy also tried a stadium cushion for a while with his Hobie seat,..he found it very comfortable, but eventually he gave that up as well because it adversely affected his ability to quickly shift his weight for balance, when we fished in a particularly strong rip that we like!!