Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vision

Trying to keep warm

3 posts in this topic

I've tried to push the limits with my kayak, as far as the weather goes, I'm 6'6 and a bit over the 250 range! Buying a wet or dry suit to fit me is an expensive, if at all impossible thing to accomplish. so my solution to this was to go to a discount bargin outlet known in my area as Building 19, here I purchased a pretty decent pair of stocking foot neopreen waders for 30 bucks! If they leaked it was no big deal I only wanted them for warmth, and to keep any splash off of me. They work great! now the only concern I have is if I do FLIP!, what's my chance's of running into trouble?, I always wear a LIFE vest,when I'm out, but wonder if the waders will fill with water, I use a wader belt, but wonder if I should cut off tho bottom feet ,and just wear neopreen sox, will the water flow thru like a wet suit? Oh by the way the waders don't leak! and I use them all the time!

------------------

Vision

I don't think you'll have to many problems with the neoprene waders, they fit much more snuggly than the old rubber waders and don't allow a great deal of water to fill inside. You might want to try a neoprene jacket over the waders with a belt around the bottom of the jacket, this will keep ya very warm and although not tested, I think it should keep ya pretty dry in case you do have a mishap. wink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

JC and John did a bunch of testing with this type of setup in warm weather. The neoprenes trap air and float. I don't like the idea of bootfoot waders and would use stockingfoots instead (personal preference). I use breathable waders with a breathable top and a wading belt. It works well for me. I haven't been out in really extreme weather and not sure if I will.