Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffblair

Advice Needed About SOT

16 posts in this topic

I am brand new at this kayaking stuff. I bought my first yak about a week ago...a Pungo. A great little boat but I am 72 yrs old, 6ft 3inches, 235 pounds and stiff in the hips. Getting in and out of the Pungo is a bit sloppy and difficult. I have been told an sot would be a lot easier to manage.

My first problem is I live in eastern Mass and sot are not popular enough for dealers to stock so I can not go look or try. You guys use them a lot and could be a big help.

The 2 that seem the best to me from looking on line and studying them seems to be the Ocean Kayak Drifer and the Wildernes Tarpon. I would lean towards the Tarpon but it is 6 inches narrower. Does the extra 4 ft of length make it as stable as the Drifter? Just how wet is the Tarpon? My travels will be all lake and bay, I have no desire to head out sea.

Is there some other Yak I should consier?

I have been reading your posts for several days now and delighted to read about your use of fish finders, I am ready to order my Garmin 240.

Your advice would be apreciated...am I on the right track? Hull weight is not important, I am old but very strong.

Am I on the right track? I mostly spin fish, just starting the fly...Cliff Blair

Welcome cliffHappyWave.gif If you are going to be fishing the back bays and not the surf I would err on the side of speed.some fine choices would be a (Cobra tourer/Necky dolphin/Wilderness Systems Tarpon/Ocean Kayak Scupper pro tankwell.There are at least 7 or 8 other models that would fit the bill also, but those will be the easiest to find and they are all a good compromise between speed and stability.

70 what!!! You rock. P.S the cape is nirvana.also welcome to nether world of fishing.We are all nomadic surf fisherman.

Doug M

CliffB,

72 and embarking on totally new adventures!!

An inspiration to us all to be sure!!

I can only speak on the Cobra Navigator.

Stable, light wt. and fast enough IMHO.

Check out their website.

I just installed a Garmin 240.

Beautiful unit.

I'll be checkin' her out shortly.

Keep us posted on your progress.

DASBOOT

Cliff,

Take your time and choose the right yak for yourself before you start installing fishfinders, rod holders, et al.

Get all those questions answered about the other makes so you don't give yourself a lot of extra work.

My 2cents!

Cliff, Welcome to the SOL kayak family. One of the most popular SOT kayak companies is Ocean Kayak. They have many dealers in MA. Just go to their website www.oceankayak.com and punch in your zipcode and you should find someone relatively nearby. If not I would recommend The Kayak Centre in Wickford RI. They offer Ocean and many other brands and have on the water demo and rental kayak's. Always try before you buy, the worst thing you could do is buy something sight unseen. Barrell and JonS from this board are also great resources for kayaks and advice.Good luck in your search. Dave

In his 70's and writes about fishing out of a kayak with the excitement of someone 50 + years his junior, I like this guy a whole bunch already icon14.gif

Welcome cliff HappyWave.gif

Like the guys above said, there's lots of info available on the subject in this forum. Use the search fetcher (top right) if ya have not found it yet, or just ask smile.gif.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Welcome aboard Cliff. You've gotten some good suggestions. At least in New England it will be very easy to sell a Pungo. They're mad for the things up there. I'm a lot younger than you but climbing in and out of an SIK gets old especially on the flats and shallow rivers.

I agree with Doug in looking at kayaks that are faster for the bays. You often need to cover some water.

Ocean kayak will be the easiest to find a demo. The Scupper Pro TW is the one from OK. You may be too large a man for it though. It doesn't accomidate big people well. My buddy Derrick is larger than you and it becomes a permanent part of his backside when he tries to get out of one. He paddles the Cobra Tourer. The Tourer is very stable due to its low position in the water. I've heard good things about the WS Tarpon too. The WS Freedom would be worth checking too. Its a bit shorter and wider then the Tarpon. Also look at the Perception Swing. We've got a few major fans here. From what I've been told the Dolphin is a terrific yak but more of an advanced paddlers yak. Less forgiving and more performance oriented. I'd check out the Scupper, Tourer, Freedom, Swing and Tarpon. The Tourer is the same weight as your Pungo and the lightest of the group.

If you're looking at the Garmin 240 also take a very serious look at the Bottomline Tournament 4300. Its slightly more $ but not much, and has more resolution (320x240)and sidefinder technology. It, like the Garmin, is very well rated by its owners.

Oh man, you're going to make us all look bad Cliff! I'm totally blown away. icon14.gif

Welcome to out little corner of the web, hope you find what you need here. We've got a great bunch here and most are very patient with any questions you can come up with.

Chris

Thanks guys, I apreciate all the input. I guess my first big question is "how dry is a sot"? Are some drier than others? Which? I have done all my crazies in my younger days and won't be using it in high winds or rough water, mostly bays and lakes.

The Pungo is a fine beginners yak, but more stability and easier exit would be nice. That suggestion of a botttomline 4300 is a good one, they are just waking up to side scan up here.

I promise to look hard before I buy...Cliff

Cliff, wet is a relative term. In a SOT you dress for fishing. There are 2 ways to go when its not bathing suit weather. Breathable waders and a kayak top or a wetsuit system like farmer johns and a kayak top. You can then add splash pants, etc. I plan on getting a wetsuit so I have experience with one. I've been very happy with the waders and I stay dry and comfy.

JonS-

What do you mean by a "kayak top" (besides a top you were in a kayak)? Is it something specific to yakking?

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

Cliff....don't know where you are in eastern MA, but when I was down on the Cape last year I saw that Goose Hummock in Orleans had opened a large kayak shop. Lots of boats to look at; rentals, too.

I also have increasing difficulty with small cockpits and have likewise looked at SOTs. After lots of research, I'm leaning toward a WS Tarpon. The only drawback is weight; 60+ pounds. That's a pretty good heave to the top of my Jeep, but I think the addition of rear-rack rollers will partly solve that problem.

Good luck! --OJ

For the hip fit question, I would go with the Tarpon (except for the weight factor), the Ride, or the Swing. The first two are much drier. None-the-less after several hours on the water we all come out a little stiff. Practice side sitting whenever possible to get the hips moving around.