Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Yak hoist

8 posts in this topic

Currently, my yak is laying on its side on my second floor patio that is uncovered. I'm a bit uneasy about this, as you can see the yak on my deck if you are down on the street a small distance from my house. Though I personally think it is impossible to scale the house and get onto my deck (I've tried on two occassion when I locked myself out icon15.gif ), my girlfriend did the old, "How pi$$ed would you be if it got stolen"? last night that got me thinking....

Hoist.jpg

I came across this set-up in an old LLBean catalog. It's not that expensive, but I would like to get some feedback from those who have their yaks hanging from a ceiling or garage rafters. My small-ish 1 bedroom apt lacks enough floor space to have the yak lean against one of my walls, unfortunately.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or advice.

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif

JoeB,

Why would you buy something like that when you can do the same with 2 pulley's, 2 straps and 2 pieces of rope? Probably cost a whole 5 dollars in parts and 10min. labor.

I mean, I'd be more than happy to construct a lift for da' yum, yum for a under 19.95. That's right, just 19.95... but wait, if you post right now, and are one of the first 100 posters you also get sarcasm free......that's right Joe, a lift and sarcasm for under $20. where can you get a deal like this anywhere else.....

Sorry, too much coffee this morning.. biggrin.gif

Dick-

I have no idea why I would think of doing such a thing. confused.gifwink.gif You're absolutely correct, though, regarding building something like that on my own. Now I have two projects to take on in July.

This could be a great thing--I need to buy more TOOLS!!! icon14.gif

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

PS. You should go on to host an infomercial. That's all you... biggrin.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

I would make a couple wall brackets. Cut 'J' shapes from plywood, min 3/4 or doubled 1/2 inch, glue and screw a good strip of wood on the long side, screw them into studs. Line them with a couple pieces of foam. Advice not to hang from end toggles was confirmed by owners manual that came with my boat, understand best to store on side as strongest part of the hull. When you start looking at hanging a hoist it gets more complicated, you need good pulleys or it's a lot of work, you need ratchet stops or cam cleats, if you don't get it right it falls from a good height. For now put a chain thru the scupper holes and lock it to your railing or put a big eyebolt you install. I'm lucky, I have a little barn, has 5 boats in it now, could store another 20 if I ever cleaned it. smile.gif

MY YAK HAS SCUPPER HOLES SO I PUT A CHAIN THRU THEM AND LOCK IT WITH A LOCK...I ALSO HAVE A MOTION DETECTOR LIGHT ON THE SIDE OF MY ONE BEDROOM APT AND IF SOMEONE COMES NEAR IT THE LIGHT GOES OFF...I CHAIN IT TO MY FENCE...I ALSO USE THIS CHAIN TO CHAIN IT TO MY CAR...FOR 8 BUCKS ITS WORTH THE PEACE OF MIND..

Magilla-

Welcome to SOL! HappyWave.gif I was thinking the same thing regarding locking up the yak through the scupper holes. I'm going to go that route for the time being, until I have more time and energy to get ceative. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input guys.

Magilla, welcome to SOL. Please do us a favor and don't write in all caps as its harder to read. We'd really appreciate it.

You don't need to lock your yak. You'll never get the bunker smell out of it and why would anyone steal something that smells that bad wink.gif

I let you fill in the crew.