Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobp

Navigator vs FnD

5 posts in this topic

Had the pleasure of going out with JonS over the weekend with a couple other guys and tried a few yaks.

While the Explorer was a good fit for me I liked the extra room of the Navigator and the acres of space on the FnD. While one yak won't be perfect for all situations without having lived with one I'd like to know what I'd be trading off with one or the other. So, like with Packards, I'd like to ask the man that owns one.

Which yak do you use?

What type of fishing and waters do you use it for?

What characteristics do you like/dislike in the yak you are using now?

Thx in advance,

bobp

I also fished with Jon from the FnD it was very stable and nice but, I choose the navigator I have only been out in it 2 times but it seems MUCH better to paddle, I think the whole key to getting comfrotable is setting the yak up so you can reach everything and know what you need . The first time I went I really didn't know what was behind me and kept trying to turn around which is not one of the best moves once I got used to where things are in my Navigator I was much more together. I fished for about 5 hours and was very comfortable I may sneak out today if I can find someone to go with

If you want to talk more PM me or if you want to spend some time in my yak ( it's fully rigged) let me know and we can meet

Hope you get one they are a blast!! the only thing better than fishing from one is watching people look at you like your nuts!!

to me it's the best thing I ever bought for fishing great upper body work out and so low impact you don't even feel it Good luck

Bobp,

I too have the Navigator and I'm very pleased w/it.

It tracks well, is quick enough and cuts through the water nicely.

It is a work in process, but I have a Scotty rod holder on the center console, 2 rubber rod/paddle clips on the port side, the Surf to Summit fishing seat which has 2 rod tubes and a pouch in the back.

I'm geting a Garmin 240 fish finder this week

which I will probably put where the console meets the forward deck(where the warning sticker resides).

I think that is the best spot, unless someone else has a better suggestion.

It's a great yak!!

I'm 5'10"/ 170lbs and I'm comfortable for hours.

Keep us posted.

DASBOOT

I'm also in the process of gathering info on kayaks. Plan to fish sal in NJ, DE and/or MD after learning the ropes. Probably would be flyfishing mostly but not opposed to conventional gear when conditions and situations call for it. My fishing-partner wife would also be with me most of the time.

Looked at OK Ambush and Fnd - any thoughts on comparison of the two? Anybody have any experience with TriBalance? Like the idea of being able to stand up at times.

Glad I found this board - the way you guys share info will certainly be a help for a newbie looking to get into the sport.

angelom - welcome to the board. Are you looking for a yak to have both you and your wife in it at the same time? Most couples get 2 kayaks. One of the best things about a kayak is the freedom of movement and you can cover water better alone. However fly fishing in a tandem would be interesting. Only one could fish at a time (IMHO) but then the one not fsihig at that time could be positioning the yak, etc.

You need to ascertain what's the most important. Recreational kayaks are relatively stable but the wider you go the more so. With width you lose speed. Definately try as many as you can. The best thing is if you purchase at this time of year the savings are excellent. Since kayak fishing is growing in leaps and bounds if you make a choice of a kayak that's popular, should you decide to change, it will retain its value until next September. I've had a few kayaks. When I sold a used Explorer back in July, I had 19 people respond to my add. The first person who contacted me bought it and he came from VA to get it.

The Tribalance is a nice concept however it is a calm water yak. When I first saw it I did a bunch of research and communicated with people who owned them, inclding guides. My conclusion is that it is a terrific flats kayak but not a good choice for my needs. It can't do the surf or any waters that have waves exceeding 2'. It would make a nice addition to a stable. Also its expensive.

You could purchase 2 regular yaks for its price.

The Navigator that Bobp used was setup the same as Surfacetensions and DASBOOT's.