Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Freshwater on Memorial Day

24 posts in this topic

Ken L, BobP and myself hit a local Res. yesterday. It was so nice not traveling far. Bob followed me in.

Headingin.jpg

The bass weren't very cooperative but I did manage 7. 2 little smallies and 5 largemouths with the biggest going 20". The 3 of us kind of scattered so I only have a few pics. Here's one of Bob's solo bass which he got when I was nearby.

Bob-bass1.jpg

This particular body of water is the best panfish spot I've ever fished. Since the largemouths were slow I switched to a micro setup and caught lots of them. I got tons of bull bluegills, nice yellow perch and big crappies and assorted other sunfishes. the colors were especially vivid. Next time I'm bringing a cooler and taking some fillets home.

The day started off with Ken L forgetting his seat and going back home for it. Then the sky dumped a massive amount of rain on us for app. 20 minutes so we waited it out. Water was warm, which was good as some guys were asking about yak fishing and I was facing the other way and turned too much to talk. I dumped which was only my second time ever. I climbed back on and dried out in the sun as I was wearing a t-shirt and splash pants.

Teh big panfish of the day was Bob's at 15-5/8". I wasn't near him to take a pic but he measured it on the rod and I taped it when we hooked up. While Bob was landing the big crappie I had my hands full with an 18" largemouth on the micro.

Great company, great day.

Next time I'll have a fly rod and some small poppers for the bull gills. I didn't have a mount for the fly rod yet as I as in a new demo.

Damn...Well I tried Great Piece Meadows and the Pompton River and got a sunny. I would not go that way to fish again cause it just doesn't look like it holds gamefish. The bottom is too muddy without and structure that would hold the fish. I did have a nice 2 mile paddle and saw an egret and some deer up close but the fishing was horrible. There's always next weekend...Raritan Bay fluke or Round Valley lakers or Monksville Reservoir walleyes....oops here I go again!!!

PM or you could join me. We can even do it after work with the long days.

Sorry the Peace Meadows was a bust. You saved me trying it.

By the way the big panfish was a crappie. I also got an 18" largemouth on the micro gear. It was quite a blast.

PM notice the Passaic skum on Bobs kayak. A day of fishing didn't put a dent in it. Bob and Stosh hit the Passaic on Saturday, I beleive.

We need to be hitting the Measdowlands.

It's going to be a nice week or so they say. we need to start hitting up some places after work. I may try the Passaic in my old haunt cause I know there are smallmouth and pike in that section of the river. Oh a funny thing Jon is that as I was coming off of the Passaic I ran into a guy who said he just bought a Sit-in kayak and was going to try and go to Pete's Sportarama and find the kayak guru..JonS...Ha! I told him to check out this site to gain some info and maybe join up with us one day to gain some on the water experience. Kayak fishing...a sport growing leaps and bounds. Talk to you soon

P.S. I love the new hatch!!! I store extra gear and my lunch in there with the plenty of room it offers. I also installed the two forward rodholders which did wonders for my wire line fishing in the Valley. Now I'm all set to go.

The fresh didn't treat me very nice over the weekend, I couldn't find the fish I was looking for. I did scare the crap out of a beaver though.

If you guys are gonna do the after work thing and are looking for company, let me know. I work in East Hanover.

A couple of us hit the Susky just below Holts dam (I think that's the correct name) about .5 miles above Peach Bottom. Great paddle with Ed, Mike, fraggin and myself! Did manage a dozen or so Bass and one large crappie! I think Ed did get some pics, I forgot to bring my camera. The water was very dirty with lots O' debri floating all day. Was nice meeting a couple board members and hope to paddle with them often! Just got to get Mike his own yak..smile.gif

Did try and venture out Monday to Octarara Res. Got there around 10ish ready to catch some crappie for dinner, But...... Get this... They don't alow kayakers on the Resivoir! They said it's because WE, kayakers, are more likely to beach and build fires. They said the rules are going to change by mid June and we'll be able to paddle then..... This was a great disappointment cause it's an hour drive for me.... So, we headed up to Chambers lake in Coatesville. Had to run home cause someone forgot their license.... Then back to Chambers just in time for a T-storm to roll through.....biggrin.gif Waited about 30 to 45 min. then it let up and looked to be clearing. So we put in and started to fish. About 10 min. later the Thunder started again and we had to head in. A long day with no fish and alot of driving...frown.gif Of course when we got home the sun came out and the birds were singing once again... Maybe next time....

Dick, I hear you. That's been happening to me with fishing the salt and the wind. I hate putting in all the drive time to get blown off the water. I have lots of good fresh around me and in the summer I either night fish the salt or fish fresh.

PM, sounds like a plan and Nanz and anyone else is welcome. So lets get it on. Too many fishies out there to catch. I just added more RAM mounts to my Explorer demo and I'm outfitting the Nav demo right now. I just installed an "A" hatch and now its rod holders, RAM mount for fish finder, pulleys, paddle clips, Berkley grip, and front bungee.

Nanz, since you get out so early just contact me and we can hit all kinds of places.

Close on the name Dick; it's Holtwood Dam rather than Holt's Dam. I live about 15 minutes from there and fish it alot after the water drops. You can wade from the York County side all the way to the tailrace below the powerhouse from about July on. Actually it's not even wading; it's more rockhopping. What's funny there is that as the river drops, it leaves pools of water trapped in the rocks several feet above summer flow, and there are fish cut off from the river in those pools. It's a real neat place to explore. I left the yak home on Monday and headed to Spring Creek near State College, PA hoping to hit a good sulphur hatch. The bugs were a no show, but I did manage to scrounge up 8 or 9 brown trout on nymphs and parachute dries. Long drive, few fish.

CW,

Ya, real nice area to yak! Is there a campground on the island across from the ramp? I saw several people come off the island with gear. Plus I saw a pontoon that had Turkey Island Taxi on the side, where is turkey island and what can you do there? I will definatly hit that again soon. I'll let you know so you can show me around. You should have come up my way for trout! They're everywhere here. Less of a drive too...

That was a real nice trip to the Susky on Saturday with Dick, fraggin and Mike. First time actually fishing out of the new Ventura. Great boat. thumbuprt.gif Very fishable and comfortable. There should be more like it out there!

I managed a few large sunfish but overall the river was running like an overflowing urinal.cwm24.gif The best part though was meeting & fishing with good people from the board. Dick, you should have called if you were at Chambers. I live 5 minutes from there! icon15.gif

Anyway, I got a few pics that I will post if they come out. You gotta get up close & personal with this camera or everything looks like poppyseeds on a bagel. wink.gif

------------------

flyak

it was a fun day and place to get out in the kayak.i finally got the skunk off and caught fish. good to make some new local freinds.

Dick, i wont rub it in that you forgot your pfd.

But...... Get this... They don't alow kayakers on the Resivoir! They said it's because WE, kayakers, are more likely to beach and build fires.

why not just ban fires? cwm13.gif