Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KDOGG

What am I getting into here?

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,nice to be posting in this forum for the first time.biggrin.gif Now I'm am very interested in getting started in some serious ocean kayaking.I have no idea as to what kinda yak/accessories i will be needing.I have been lurking and reading about the various type of yaks.I guess I would want a sit on top instead of a sit in.Size doesn't matter does it?Also I would be interested in a yak with a setup for a trolling motor possibly but I have no idea what the difference is in price.Hopefully I'm not asking to many questions all at once here,I definitly feel like a total yak googan right now,but hopefully with some practice the rest of the fall and winter I will be able to join you guys in the first yak fling of 2002 thanks.

------------------

KDOGG

"Throwin the metal"

welcome kdogg , Hey kdogg dive in head first you will love it as to getting started jons is the man he can hook u up with all the gear & a yak and the do's and dont's he can get you all you need .Where are you located ?Hey Jon did u get down there this am? and how was it?

Im located in Staten Island,right near the bunker capital of the world,Great Kills Harbor.I see many guys out there whenever i head that way,but I also wish to use my yak for some more ocean like conditions.

------------------

KDOGG

"Throwin the metal"

Maybe I'll try the fish-n-dive,but 12 foot 6 seems kinda large, is it gonna be hard to handle?Whats the price on that model?Oh well I guess I have to wait for JonS to get here for an answer.biggrin.gif

------------------

KDOGG

"Throwin the metal"

KDOGG - Check out the Yakima Hully Rollers. I got a Fish N' Dive a few weeks ago and had the same concerns about being able to handle it. With these rollers I just need to get nose of the kayak up onto the back of the roof rack and then its easy to push/roll it the rest of the way. I use a cart that fits into the scupper holes for rolling it from the car to where I'm fishing.

KDOGG whats up? I have the Cobra Navigator its grrreat!, I was out in the Ocean the other night off Monmouth County for the first time in the dark (alone) cwm31.gif - anyway I think we live kind of close so we could definately do some Yakin. Rig it up mate, some biggins will be comin down the coast under those diving birds we see 1/2 mile outsmile.gif !

KDOGG - welcome to our little corner of SOL. Guys we have fresh meat here biggrin.gif . As to what you're getting yourself into is a very exciting and rewarding way to fish. I know that we've all discussed this before but after you get a yak you can't believe that it took you so long. The doors a yak set up for fishing opens are incredible. One of the greatest feelings as a fisherman is to be sitting in a blitz a few hundred yards off the beach and catching lots of fish and the guys on shore get nothing. Yo feel like the cat that ate the canary.

The FishnDive at 12'6" is not a long kayak. Yaks for fishing, in this region, up to 15' are used regularly. Two of the most popular models and the shortest are the Cobra Explorer and OK Scrambler XT and they're in the mid 11s. Shorter yaks are better for rivers, and tight places. The longer yaks handle the big water better.

If you want a kayak that you can both paddle some distance and have the option of a small motor the Cobra Fish n Dive is the only kayak that I'm familar with which is set up to do both jobs. It has an accessory add on motor mount and the tank well is designed to put an electric trolling motor in.

MarkM is in Keyport and I have a feeling if you asked him he'd hook up with you so you could check it out.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 09-30-2001).]

A couple of Photgraphs of what you could be getting into smile.gif

shentmc.jpg

see the shallows here.

ashmc.jpg

Here is a nice shot of the whole general area from space!

sandy_hook.jpg

[This message has been edited by Marksharky (edited 09-30-2001).]

KDOG, I just bought 2 Cobra Navigators from JonS.

They are only 44lbs, 12.5ft and a stable 31" at the beam.

I have just started myself, but the longer yak will track better.

I found the Cobra Explorer, at 11.3ft to pull to the side on each paddle stroke.

JonS, We STILL haven't gotten on the water!!!

Going out today to find a PFD for Ramona.

Do you think a wet suit at this time of year is still too hot to wear? It's pretty chilly out!!

Do you guys winter yak also?

Later.......Mike

I yak whenever there are fish. I don't use a wetsuit. I don't like being wet. I use close fitting breathable, stockingfoot waders with oversized diver booties. On top I wear a breathable top. Add an elastisized wading belt and a PFD and it works great. I'm comfortable in any conditions other than mid summer and then I just wear shorts and a t-shirt. I wear modern fibers underneath like capilene and fleece and layer depending upon temps and whether or not I'll be wading much. You generate a lot of perspiration paddling a kayak and having everything breathable keeps me very comfortable.