Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otter

yakrod

21 posts in this topic

assuming the CFO signs off on the capital expendature and lets me get my new "bathtoy" as she calls it, something tells me my 9' Sabre 1088 may be unweildy.

what kinda setup should i be looking at?

none of this loomi$ stuff either, my budget will be light. will my H action freshwater stuff be ok? how much line should i be looking to hold?

Heavy freshwater gear is fine. You may want to get saltwater compatible reels if yours aren't. The reels will get water on them and if you launch through the surf they'll get wet unless you assemble the rods once past the surf zone. This is what I do with my fly rod. Its 4 pieces so I keep in in a PVC tube and assemble it if I decide to use it. One day I used an UL freshwater rod and caught my first albie from the yak. That little 3-4# albie kicked my butt. You don't need alot of line capacity in a yak since part of your drag system is the fish towing the yak.

I use inexpensive rods and smaller reels as do most yak fisherman. Since there's a definate possibilty of breakage due to doing something dumb. Spin or baitcasting is fine. Here are the 2 I carry for the salt. In freshwater the choices are different.

An ugly stick is a great choice as they're hard to kill. 6' to 7' is nice. I like the longer in case the fish runs around the yak so I can clear the bow. I bought a 6 1/2' ugly off of ebay for about $18. Its medium action, 2 piece, rated for 6-15# line and will handle lures up to app. 3/4 oz. I usually carry 2 rods, plus a 4 piece fly rod. The other spin rod I carry is a Silstar. Its 7' with a surf fishing handle and casts great. It handles heavier lures. 1/2 to over 2 oz. It likes the same lure weights as my 9' surf rod. It casts almost as far as my 9' surf rod. Sometimes I beach the yak and its a great rod when distance is needed with larger lures. I'm so impressed with the rod that the shops going to carry it. Its under $25.

For reels I was using older Shimano Custom spin reels. They're from the mid 80s. I'm getting in Ticas to test. Barrell has been using them and has replaced Penn Prions and is very happy with them. I'm getting in both the GH which retails for $45.00 and has 4BB and appears to be the same as the Daiwa BG series but with infinte antireverse. The next step up is the Libra SA with 10 BB, infinite anti and worm drive. It retails for $80. If a larger reel is needed there's the Camry line. Same features as the Libra except 7BB. The Camrys are larger reels. If you use braided lines the first 2 Ticas are fine choices from the yak.

Thanks for the answers

I have secured 9wt longrod and will begin to dilly with it. Hope to tag along with 10x10 and see how its done, I know i can get them 7' uglies anywhere, need the 1 piece. anybody dislike Stradics?

Ppro 30# and i figure i'm good to go. keep that reel rinsed and lubed and i should get a season in. fish beware wink.gif

It will all work. I like 2 piece rods so I can break them down. Can be an asset when getting into out of the way places. I'm glad that my fly rod is a 4 piece. Easy to bring along.

I'd get a 9 wt. A 3 or 4 piece is nice for the yak especially. Since a nice fly rod isn't cheap you can keep it broken down and protected when not in use. Flipping in the surf could put a reel hurt on something that long and fragile.

I have a stout 4' custom yak rod tipped with a VS200. It has a short butt section to accommodate my yak and it is a great stomach-resting machine! It is ultimately designed to battle big togs from their holes and battle unicorns at night! I took it for a test in Mazatlan and I was able to subdue two 50 lbs. Yellowfin tuna from a boat!!!

Al Goldberg designed this rod... Just go to the SOL rod building section and ask him for the specifics. It is the ultimate big game yak rod! biggrin.gif

"Crazy" Alberto

In the Northeast a 10wgt is the weapon of choice. Wind and big flys will the deciding factor so use a rod for all around use. If you are like most fly rodders then have a few rods from 8 on up (money is the only thing holding most of us back). I have an 8, 10 and 12 wgt rod which I use for different situations....8wgt in the back bays, 10 wgt on the surf and 12 in the late fall for big flys and wind. If fishing in a kayak rod length could be shorter since a long cast is why you own a kayak in the first place. I do not own a kayak yet but I have been tempted to pick one up and take a course on handling one.

Attn Crazy One

plz report to the main forum and posts Mexico pics asap pleeeeze biggrin.gif

Hiya Otter,

You bet... As soon as I get the clearance... I will be posting it! I have some great shots! wink.gif

JonS: You bet... As soon the weather permits, my kayak will be out!

"Crazy" Alberto

One of the great things about a yak is that you can go lighter with gear since the yak allows you to follow, or rather be towed by larger fish. Towing becomes part of the drag system. I would reccomend a 9 wt. because its less tiring than a 10. WIth a yak you'll fish many back bay places where the fish will vary in size and especially weakies which are one of the most abundannt and cooperative fish don't require a lot of rod.