Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Yak Fishing Tournaments

16 posts in this topic

Any of you guys intrested in doing this.Talked to Jerry Sparks and he would like to have one around Stonington.Sometime near the end of July.He has many sponsors since he is a rep for Pure Fishing and WS yaks.Anybody up for this ?Need a few more people.He would like to try and have one every month during the season.He would like to set one up at a different location each time.All lure/fly fishing no bait.

What do you guys think ?

For those who dont know were Stonington is is Between Watchhill and Mystic.Its some very yakable water.Well protected.Also very fishy.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

I just talked to my corporate team and it us a ago! The Gulfstream IV has been pulled-out on the the apron. Where is the closest airport to Stonington anyway? I'm all over this sort of fishing wink.gif

Just foolin of course... Have some fun out there.

I think you and Dougie are already doing some serious recon. I should be in for a few of these. We may have to plan some spousal activities, too nice a place to leave them home.

Does that mean the winner gets to go to Foxwoods after the tournament and gamble his winnings away? smile.gif

Seriously, sounds like it could be fun so long as it's kept on the light side.

Can I wear a bass masters shirt with plenty of logo patches...preferably in a really awful color combination. icon25.gif WAIT! I have to put some GOLD FLAKE on my yak...rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Count me in. I'm not a coastal guy, is this Mystic place in Conn? I'll get JimW to teach me all he knows, then watch out!

Yes dear, I'll do this. Yes dear, I'll do that...

Bill, you already got what I know. Good luck. Mystic is in Eastern CT, almost to RI so guess between 1.5-2 hrs from me. Certainly is doable.

I'm in! Any excuse to get out works for me- I agree with Jim as far as the family thing goes. Great opportunity for them to enjoy the area and we get to go fish'in! For anyone who hasn' been through the area, it's truely awesome!! Joe, if you need some help, let me know.... next week I'll be in the Outer Banks but after that I can help out,

happy hookin',

Doug

Example of contest rules regs and organization-FYI from recent YAKFSIHING.COM post:

Come and join us for some great times this sunday!

Marco

have2fish@yahoo.com

2nd Annual Semana Nautica People Powered Fishing Tournament

Come join the fun!

Date: June 23, 2002

Time: Starts at 6:00 am. Weigh-in is at noon. Fishing after the weigh-in time is prohibited.

Cost: $15 with an $5 optional Big Fish jackpot. Participants will receive four 5" Big Hammer Swimbaits, two Super Shad Lead Heads and a sample of Pro-Cure's Calico Cocktail Bait Scent - while supplies last.

Species: California Halibut, White Seabass, Calico Bass (Kelp Bass), Sand Bass, Surfperch, Corbina, Striped Bass, Yellowfin Croaker, Lingcod.

Limits: 3 fish of any one species (unless current regulations are less) with an 9 fish total. You may not keep and/or kill more than 3 fish of any one species during the tournament. For example, you can not keep/kill 5 California halibut (even though that is the legal limit) and only count your three largest fish. Culling is only allowed if the fish to be culled are safely kept in some kind of "livewell" and are released in good health. Kelp Bass, Barred Sand Bass, & Spotted Sand Bass count as one species. All surfperch (Barred, Walleye, etc.) count as one species. All fish must be legal size. 1 point per fish and 1 point per pound. The stringer with the most points wins. Largest fish by weight takes the entire Big Fish jackpot.

Fishing Methods: Surf fishing, float tube fishing, kayak fishing, or fishing from any other type of human powered craft. Artificial lures or flies only. No bait, no chum. Bait scents may used. All fish must be taken by the DFG's definition of "angling". The fish must voluntarily take the lure into it's mouth. No snagging.

Boundaries: East - old oil pier, West - Naples Point, South - 1/2 mile out.

Other rules & suggestions:

You are responsible for complying with all California Department of Fish and Game regulations and any applicable California laws.

You can have up to four rods with you but only one may be used at a time.

You must have a valid California fishing license.

You must land your own fish without any help from other anglers/people.

We strongly encourage catch and release of all fish if possible - especially Calico (Kelp) Bass, Barred Sand Bass & Spotted Sand Bass.

In the case of a tie the stringer with the largest single fish will win. In the unlikely event that there is still a tie the second largest single fish of each stringer will win - and so on.

Prizes:

1st place:

50% of entry fees collected

Choice of Big Hammer flats & surf kit or Big Hammer Inshore Halibut Kit

A bottle of Pro-Cure's Calico Cocktail Bait Sauce

A pair of Bluefever Shortpump Gloves

A Big Hammer T-shirt

2nd place:

30% of entry fees collected

Big Hammer flats & surf kit or Big Hammer Inshore Halibut Kit

A Big Hammer T-shirt

3rd place:

20% of entry fees collected

A Big Hammer T-shirt

Pay out numbers (assuming everyone enters the big fish jackpot):

10 anglers = 1st $75 - 2nd $45 - 3rd $30 - Big Fish $50

20 anglers = 1st $150 - 2nd $90 - 3rd $60 - Big Fish $100

30 anglers = 1st $225 - 2nd $135 - 3rd $90 - Big Fish $150

40 anglers = 1st $300 - 2nd $180 - 3rd $120 - Big Fish $200

Sounds like fun!

It's doable for me!!

Perhaps the ladies could spend the day at Mystic Seaport together.

That's if they're not yaking w/us of course!

Just a thought.

I hope this is going to be planned for saturdays so we have the option of staying over somewhere instead of driving back home.