Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

OBX Yak Fling

26 posts in this topic

Now this I would definately be interested in, thats my down time smile.gif - I am very busy through Oct. 31st then the golfers kind of stay inside.. this sounds like a good event.

JonS, hi how you doing? I'm interested in this fling. I will be down there for the week of Thanksgiving. I always am. Last year at that time I experienced the best striper fishing of my life. I was not in a kayak, since I just bought your Explorer a month or so ago, but I'm up for giving it a try. I will have my yak and my boat down over Thanksgiving. It's a really nice time to be down there, and you can rent pretty nice places really cheap. I've got a house about 4 or 5 miles from Oregon Inlet, it has a hot tub and three bedrooms for $400 for the week. I may have an extra room available for someone who needs a place to stay. Also hotels are dirt cheap down there in the off season.

MikeC

Mike I'm doing good. How are you doing with the yak? It was our conversation that made me think that a fling in OBX in November would be a good idea. I know that guys like Porter fish down there in yaks so they'll be our experts.

I'll take that spare room since you offered. Just let me know what I'll owe you.

Also they billed us for the fly rod holders but we haven't seen them yet. I've had a Priorty box just waiting for them addressed and ready to go.

JonS, things are going pretty well with the yaking. I've been getting out about 2 times a week on a local lake. The first couple times I did pretty good and caught a few largemouth bass. Lately though, I haven't been having much success catching bass. I've been trying to catch a muskie. Two weeks ago a new state record was set in VA on the lake I've been fishing. It was a 49 inch. muskie, so that has me kind of excited to catch one. I haven't caught one yet.

No worries on the rod holder, I know you will get it to me as soon as you have it!

As far as the OBX fling, I'm in if it's during T-day week, otherwise I will make the call depending on the date that is decided upon.

You are more than welcome to come down during T-day week and fish with me even if the fling is not held then. It's just such an easy week to take off of work because I only have to use 3 days of leave.

As far as the house goes, you can definatly stay in one of the spare rooms. I'm not sure what it will cost because that all depends on how many friends end up coming down. Knowing my friends they will not decide until right before the trip. Worst case scenario, I'll be there solo if everyone bails on me. Also want to give you a warning, that my crew will most likely be down there to party not to fish. One of my buddies fishes with me, but all the others party. So the house may not be the most condusive for sleeping and getting up early to fish. Let's keep in touch about this, and we can decide what's up once a date is agreed upon.

MikeC

As I stated in the other string, I'll be in Hatteras the week after Thanksgiving, could even try for the Friday after. For those that camp, I recommend The Sands of Time Campground in Avon. They are open year round, and have a freezer for campers to keep there catch in, bathhouse is clean but unheated and offer full hook ups including cable. They are located at the light in Avon behind the firehouse. For those needing a hotel, the Outer Banks Hotel in Buxton has been used by family members for 25 years. Beachfront access, reasonable rates and very well equipped rooms. Area in front of hotel is one of the hotspots for Specks. I'll post more info later. I can take on some of the duties of organizing this trip, but I'm tied in for my dates already, deposit for the house is already paid for the following weekend.

OK, here are some links for Hatteras Island.

Hope it helps with your planning and sways your decision to go.

http://www.beachsurf.com/srfsound/

http://www.hatterasrealty.com/

http://www.camphatteras.com/

http://www.sandsoftimecampground.com

http://www.outerbeaches.com/

The following are some tackle shops and fishing sites for the OBX. You may have some of these already but for those that don't here they are.

http://www.fishmojo.com/

http://www.reddrumtackle.com/

http://www.hatteras-island.com/

http://www.friscorodgun.com/

http://www.obxfishing.com/

We need to pick a time to do this. Traditionally, Thanksgiving weekend is the time for the huge Blues to arrive. Last year it was huge schools of Stripers. The Speckled trout are usually in abundance also. The weather can be at any extreme at this time of year, from swimtrunks to artic gear needed, often within hours.

The trip usually takes me 6.5 to 8 hours from my home in Newark Delaware. I travel down the Eastern shore to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel around Norfolk via I64 and then south down RT 168 to the OBX. My father makes the trip in a little over 9 hours from LBI.

Hope all this helps, if anyone needs to get in touch with me e-mail me at;

mulletmiller@conectiv.net

Tight Lines,

Bob Miller

[This message has been edited by Mullet Miller (edited 08-18-2001).]

I live in Kitty Hawk and would be glad to help. I don't own a yak but that should change by then. Last year (my first on the OBX) the ocean run stripers started showing up around mid November. On the northern beaches, a w/sw wind flattens the inshore water and it is perfect for a yak. There is plenty of free beach access and the fish could be found anywhere from Oregon Inlet to just shy of the VA line. The chance for a large is very good. I saw a 52 lber come from a surf launched aluminum skiff and had fish into the low 30 lb range from the surf. Depending on water temps large drum should be available (late November/early December) around the shoals of Cape Point. The water here is rough and I would only recommend it for experienced kayakers. If it is too rough, then there are plenty of surf options. If I can be of any help let me know.

Guys we need someone(s) down that way to be the leader/organizer of this fling. Someone who knows there way around. We've got sometime but we'll need dates, etc.

Jon,

I could take on a leader roll for the fling. I am very familiar with Hatteras Island. I've been fishing there for the last 9 years religously, at least 2 trips a year. If anyone would like to assist I'd appreciate it.

Bob

I think that the week after Thanksgiving is a better time to do this fling. I'm interested in renting a house since it seems very cheap then. Joey and I discussed it this AM and we'd like to do a week there so lets officially get a kayak OBX fling going.

Mike what I'd like to do is join you for a day or 2 before you leave and get familar with the area.

Mullet Miller, Savfish and others who have familarity down there we'd appreciate all advice and help you can give us.

Got a few questions. When are the albies down there? Also its my understanding that the Gulf Stream comes very close to the coast there. Joey and I are very interested in going out for tuna, etc. at least one day. Anyone else interested?

Timely post this, as I'm currently in the planning stages of my annual Hatteras trip. I'm usually there Thanksgiving week but we are also considering the following week this year.

I make the trip with a large group (12-16) of friends and we rent the biggest house we can find for the whole week. Most folks are there only for the party but 2 or 3 of us fish whenever we can (there may be a bedroom available but, like MikeC said, it's not the best atmosphere for hardcore fishermen). I've stayed in Rodanthe, Avon, and Frisco and each have their advantages. Cape Point (Buxton) is generally the hot-spot at that time of year but the ability to be flexible and hit the beach anywhere from Oregon Inlet to Okracoke is key. Also, a 4x4 that's good in deep sand is imperative as many of the best areas are ORV access only unless you plan to portage long distances.

Last year was a good year, except for winds that came up on Thanksgiving day and didn't really die off until Monday. The best day I had involved finding huge schools of specs about 500 yards off the beach that would hit anything you dropped into them (you should've seen the looks I got at the local tackle shop until I "gave up" my honey-hole). The striper melee at the point Thanksgiving afternoon was a minor miracle that I'll never forget. the two previous years were warm and dry with flat seas and miles of birds offshore, but that was before I got my yak (of course).

Not sure I can be any help planning as my own trip usually takes up too many work hours anyway. I'll keep my "ears" open though and chime in when I can.

Chris

Almost forgot... I'm looking to plan a tuna trip as well and we may need to fill a couple spots on the boat for that. I'll keep y'all posted.

Do you mean the weekend after the Thanksgiving feast (24th - 25th), or the following weekend December 1st - 2nd, this would definately be better for me as the first is a little to close to the holiday with the family & stuff smile.gif Plus I think the stripers will definately move in by Dec. 1st . Also would have 1 more guy joining me Larry .

How does it work, we arrive friday evening, fish saturday AM & PM- jet out on Sunday.

Thanksgiving weekend is usually Family & football time.... right?

I'm gonna go for a week at least. That way if I get a day or more of bad weather I can catch up on the sleep. Also its a haul from up here. I'm sure that its close to 12 hours and to justify the drive I've got to spend some time down there.

Chris - I'd like to coinside with when you're there, if possible. We've been communicating for a while now. It would be nice to meet. I've got a good 4wd for sand. My Pathfinder does a good job. Also Joey has a Pathfinder and he'd probably drive also.

So let's talk somemore but I'm for the week following T-Day weekend since it conflicts with a lot of peoples family stuff. I'll take a look at a calender. What's everyones opinion?