Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seadogface

Leadcore

3 posts in this topic

OK .. I have my yak equipped with safety in mind. I'm a newbie yakker but I'm not totally a novice striperman. BUT I don't know anything about rigging with Leadcore for trolling . Tell me all about Leadcore.

How much length do you use ? I have 60 # test ..... would I attach some specific length to my PP already on my spinner ?

Should I spool an old Penn "Surfmaster" wire reel up with the "Redicore Reel Ready" spool but eliminate the 50 yards of 50# test mono on the end ?

unis, albrights ?

If I'm not mistaken, 50' of leadcore equals 10' depth. How much line you need depends upon the depth you wish to reach. The stuff is color coded, so by counting colors, you know how deep you are. Often you want to be within inches of the bottom.

Fly fishermen use 30" of the stuff you have, to make a sinking head. KILLER on Fluke!

AMMO

I have 45# leadcore and was told that every color I let out (10 yds per color) will sink 6 feet. So to get my tube down 30 ft I need to let out 5 colors of leadcore. That is assuming a trolling speed of 2-3 mph without current. My rig is a Penn squidder with 8 colors of 45# LC with 100yds of dacron backing. The LC is attached to 6 ft of 50# flurocarbon leader. Hope that helps.