Kayak Repair HELP??

The fiberglass tape and resin thing will work if it is made of fiberglass or wood, but if it is made of plastic, you will have trouble with adhesion even with epoxy. I'm not sure if they would work for 'yaks, but the keel shields they sell for boats and PWC's may be an idea. Hope this helps and good luck.

Professional thread killer

Thats a tough one. I have tried to weld to the poly for 15 years with limited sucess. I would first contact the manufacturer or the dealer to see what they might do for you. You might be suprised what a little sugar coating can get you.If you have acess to the inside of the hull a full tube of marine adhesive sealant built up behind the soft spot will extend the life of the yak.

Barrell

BARRELL

• 3 weeks later...

I ran into the same problem on my Malibu Extreme. I wore the keel down from loading and unloading. I called Malibu and they sent me polypropolene squares matching the color of my kayak. They instructed me to use a propane torch to soften up the plastic and then use a soldering iron to fuse it into the area. I took my time and then used sandpaper to get it smooth. It worked well and I have no leaks. However don't attempt to keep on dragging it. It will come apart faster then when it comes out of the factory mold. I now lay down a towel when I have to drag it up on top of my pickup.