Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan From NJ

Absolutely amazing

11 posts in this topic

I just got a kayak this week. Got a tandum one so I could go kayaking with my wife. That has worked out well. SHe has had health problems in recent years. SHe loves nature and wildlife but really can't hike any kind of distance. The kayak allows us to tour some lakes and hopefully some rivers. We paddled around a really nice lake yesterday and saw turtles, fish, frogs and a hawk it was really neat, she had a great time.

In addition I obviously had to put poll holders and go fishing on the thing. Tonight me and a friend gave it the first try fishing. Now I have waded out with bluefish and bass crashing around me and I have been on boats with fish crashing around me. That is nothing compared to the feeling a kayak give you. It feels like you are floating around a pool on a little raft, you get that kind of perspective in terms of eye levelness to the fish and the water yet you have outstanding mobility in the yak. Well we paddled into acres of peanuts with GATOR blues and bass on them. The kayak is so quite and we were shallower than a powerboat could go so the only sound was the peanuts fear and violent crashes of predators on them. I had about a 10+ pound blue almost hop in the kayak with me. He bounced off the side. A slighly higher jump he would have been in. This was insane. I have never felt so close to blitzing fish. Again I have had them when I waded out in the surf where they were actually behind me crashing, but I still felt above the fish. Tonight I felt like I was next to them. The kayak gives such a unique perspective. Its amazing. ALso as my fishing partner remarked. Tossing a lure into the chaos it felt like we were at great adventure on the log flume or a roller coaster and the ride was click click clicking up the last couple feet of the hill climb and your are about to free fall down the other side. It was almost nerve racking casting on these fish knowing we hook one of these gators what the hell are we going to do then. There is no dragging it up onto the sand or a deck to throw it onto and let is bounce around a bit before pulling the hook out of it. So far all I got is: bring the fish up next to the kayak and grab it by the tail then try to support it on the kayak without actually throwing it in your own lap. I need a LOT more preactice in terms of figuring some efficient way of unhooking an releasing these fish. A net seems like it would just complicate things. A boga grip might help out. Stripes on a single hook lure do not seem too bad but with trebbles that may was well be one of those yellow eyed toothy bastards.

Anway I have fished a lot of places and methods. This kayak stuff is really the closest to the fish I have ever felt. Its awsome.

Dan,

Recently had myself in the center of a blitz and did it unknowingly. I paddled to what I thought was the edge of a bluefish boil and the water errupted all around me after I casted. I got soaked by those blue devils splashing. Thankfully only some peanut bunker got smacked into the yak.

I point the rod tip to the bow of the yak and allow the fish to work a little longer so I am not dealing with a real energetic beast. I never bring the blue into the yak with me to remove the hook/hooks. I wear one glove on my left hand and pin him to the side of the yak as I use my pliers(right hand) for removal. If I want to weigh him I also do that out of the boat.

I recently had a small kamikaze blue come out of the water and hit me in the back, imbedding the belly treble in the back of my life jacket. I got him off but had to remove the jacket to get the hook out. Close call!

Use a lighter drag setting also. Your yak is an extension of your drag. A boga would work well, but I like the glove routine better.

The yak is an awesome fishing platform and is also great for accessing some great shoreline locations you could never get to otherwise.

Good Luck,

Steve smile.gif

Dan, Many more yak eperiences await you like the one you describe. Try removing all the hooks from your plugs but the back one, it wont affect your catch but is much safer. Just grab the plug to land fish.

Barrell

Dan,

Welcome to the Dark Side of fishing. You will never go back. I have fished from power boats all my life, but get much more enjoyment cathing fish from a yak. I don't know why, but for some reason it seems my senses are more acute when yak fishing. Sights, sounds and smells are much more noticeable, even compared to dead drifting in my bass boat. There are incredible advantages to a yak over a power boat, namely, absolute stealth. The fish simply can't hear you coming, and you can get into places that power boats can only dream of. The downside is that yaks are obviously slow, and it can be a b!tch if you get caught in bad a headwind far from your launch. The key is to watch your forecasts, be alert, and know your limitations. I am relatively new to yak fishing (less than a year), but it has helped me catch so many more fish, and I rarely shore fish any more. There is so much incredible fishing within easy driving distance of northern NJ that it is mindboggling. I was out yesterday in a certain area, and left after getting about 25 bass and blues. The trip before, it was over 60. Sometimes, it's beyond "stupid fishing"....I thought it was more "lobotomy fishing". Shore bound anglers were striking out, but I left the fish biting. All of this was with power boats around me getting nothing, including one that was dogging me like white on rice. Welcome to the Dark Side, Luke, the Force is with you... cwm12.gifbiggrin.gifcwm12.gif

I have access to pretty much any type of fishing I would want to do, between boats that I and family have. Even with access to boats and technological advances, Up until yesterday surf fishing was my absolute favorite because its just me the fishing poll and the fish. Even more rewarding when I am thowing home made lures with home made flies in front of them. The more I use a boat, fish finder, etc... the more I feel removed from the pure sport of it. Kayakaing has definately shown me an angle of fishing I have never witnessed before. Although you are increasing range with the kayak above and beyond shore fishing I actually feel closer to the fish throwing lures on a yak. And shore fishing allows you to bring fish into your element... land. Yacking does not allow that luxury. Its feels like you have to subdue them in thier element. I would say its a lot harder to land a fish on a yak than it is from the beach. There is just so much more going on and there is no where to put the thing, where as a stretch of dry sand or a stable boat deck is a major luxury when landing a fish.

[ 09-05-2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Dan From NJ ]

If you REALLY want to have fun with blitzing blues, get a Creek Chub # 1900 in Chrome finish, and remove ALL the hooks. The Bluefish cannot resist it, and they hold it so tight in their teeth, that you get to play with one for 3 minutes or so. When the Popper flys out of his mouth because he was trying to get a better grip, half the time ANOTHER Bluefish grabs it, and you're off again. Since I have no intention of harvesting them, why bother with hooks?

Nothing is as handy as a Berkly Lip Gripper when you're in a kayak! ESPECIALLY w/ blues.

Just remember to put a lanyard on it.

Except maybe a Boga grip! They cost more, but I LOVE my Boga.

Bo-ga, Bo-ga, Bo-ga!

In any case, I agree with Tim that a device of this sort makes life MUCH easier in a kayak. Especially with a big bluefish waiting to land in your lap.

It is not that easy to land fish with a lip gripper. If you are catching small blues all day it can take a while for the blue to open his mouth to get the gripper on. Large bass can also be dificult as they tend to run a foot or two away every time you atempt to put the gripper on their mouth. If you have learned some secret trick to make blues open their mouth on Q. Then please share it with the rest of us. The new longer gripper may be easier to use. And adding a 18 inch piece of 1/4 inch bungie to the gripper with a snap hook makes the gripper easier to store and yet easy to reach with.

barrell