Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Linesidesonthefly

Mitchell 402 or a Luxor 300

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'd go with the Mitchell if only for the reason that parts are much easier to find for it. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 402 is the same as a 302 only with a higher gear ratio. The 302 is about as common a reel as was ever made, you can pick up parts and beater reels very inexpensively on Ebay

I've fished with both. I'd take a 704 or 706 over either one. The 402 has a more complex gear system and the drag is a time bomb waiting to go off. Spool removal is accomplished by loosening the drag knob "just so" and then turning the spool counter clockwise to remove it. 99 out of 100 people try to remove the spool by trying to turn the drag knob, and the end result is, the screw holding the drag stack in place comes loose, the the spring loaded drag shoots the washers all over the place mad.gif

If you want to go retro with a Mitchell, the better choices are the 386/486 models. Much simpler inside, drag self contained in the knob, more capacity than the 402.

All cupped spool Mitchells are also notorious for line getting under the spool and tangling around the shaft. If you're lucky enough to find one, the skirted spool 496 is the best choice of all.

I'm partial to the Luxor/Crack 300. I have 2 of them and I caught my first bass on one and so have my kids ( easilty 30 year spread ). Parts are a little harder to come by, but I like the manual bails and the reels just keep on ticking...

AnthonyT

Ditch,

What line would you suggest for the 704 for bait fishing?

tks.

JimD

20# Big Game mono is what I've used since Berkley first came out with it. 20# Stren Hi-Impact is good, too, if they still make it.