Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pmjasper

Top three trolling lures for yak stripers

14 posts in this topic

Since i just bought my yak, i was wondering what are your three top lures for striper trolling out of the yak. i mean i like umbrella rigs but that seems too cumbersome for a yak. i was thinking more along these lines:

1. swimming plug (bombers)

2. Bunker spoons (weighted w.trolling sinker)

3.Deep Diving Plug (MAnns stretch 25's)

know i know about jigs and weighted lures but the reason i like the plugs is that if i need to stop for something or correct my position i am not worried about snagging bottom while dragging a jig. What is your take on the subject? Do you guys troll stripers from the surf during the fall run? too me it seems like the perfect time to drop a lure behind the yak and paddle down the beachfront but i'm a novice so maybe there is something i am missing. I'm relying on you guys to steer me straight. I am mostly thinking of fishing by Sandy Hook and Raritan Bay areas. Thanks guys.

------------------

<A HREF="mailto:

metzpetit@aol.com

"]

metzpetit@aol.com

</A>

I like to troll plastics. Rarely do you snag since the bottoms mostly sand. If you do snag something you've just found structure and that's good. Also should you snag you paddle over and get it out.

I'm with JonS on this one, plastics are great trolling/fishfinding lures. Just the vast number of colors and styles make them my first choice. Second, they are easier to stow in a smaller area, which translates to being able to carry a greater variety of colors, sizes and styles on a kayak. I love to troll with the plastics on one rod and keep a second ready with a spoon or plug for when I find an area with willing recipients.

Bob

I'm with the other guys: plastics! But I've also had good luck with the schoolbus Bomber, especially in thinner water, where plastics tend to hang up more. I hear Barrell kills em on the Pikie Minnow but it's a deep diver & you've really got to have some water under you for it.

In close along the beach, I had good luck trolling the chicken scratch daytime and the black bomber at night for stripers. Blues have been chewing up my 3" deadly dick, trolled for albies. Got a nice little tunney on the dick last weekend. Have to go out further (up to 1/4 mi) and watch for the seam(s) where the birds are working and troll along it.

when you guys say plastics, what exactly are you referring to? Any one ever try trolling sakura tubes or feathers?

Can jigs, bunker spoons be trolled without using wire line?

thx

surfrat...stop stealing my next trolling pattern for a tad later in the month. i just ordered sekora tubes, stretch 25 lures and some bunker spoons to be run with a drail on mono line. paddle power should help the lures run a little deeper and i'm not looking at trolling 50ft deep...20 to 25ft is more realistic. i love umbrella rigs but they are too complicated to use when you are paddling, however, a single tube with a drail could be the ticket to scoring some bass...i hope. As far as plastics go we're referring to plastic shads, fin-s fish, plastic eels and things of that nature. Maybe we could get together and try the technique. talk to you soon.

------------------

<A HREF="mailto:

metzpetit@aol.com

"]

metzpetit@aol.com

</A>

So far I have had the best results with

1)schoolbus bomber 5" or 7"

2)1 oz. kastmaster

3) 4" sassy shad(3/8 oz head) black

back whIte belly

And on really calm nights redfins as slow as one can paddle.

Depp divers for bass (pikie minnow my favorite) Rattletraps for wekfish. On big plugs remove all hooks but the back one. its all you need and its hard to paddle with a hook in the palm of your hand.

Barrell