Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glazehead

Back bays in South Jersey?

25 posts in this topic

Any good places in South Jersey to fish the back Bays with a kyyak? I've been going behind Corson's Inlet in the Intercoastal at night and the fishing has slowed down. Just got a kyyak a couple weeks ago.

Glazehead,

Check out my post on Back bay stripers from last week. If your interested in going, let me know. I launch at the Delores Cooper bridge, between Somers pt. and Longport. I then paddle toward Sculls bay and work the creeks that lead in and out. The holes are holding some stripers. Eels are fun, but poppers are even more fun.

eelball

That's funny, I was looking at skull bay on the map and thought that I would try that next. It looks good, just a couple of small streams coming out, good place for stripers to ambush bait getting washed in & out. It's near that public pier, any access there? I went to Brigantine Channel Monday night and caught a 32" & 27-1/2" striper on a Metallic Blue Long A Bomber. No other hits. Went back tonight, 4-10 PM, not a bite. I put in at the golf course.I usually go in the daytime to check out an area first and then fish it at night. My email address is glazehead@hotmail.com ,maybe we can get together. I've been taking off work early and going during the week at night and staying out late on the weekends. I only started striper fishing like 3 weeks ago. I started at corson's inlet and that seems to have slacked off alot.

Probably go tonight again.Went last night and had to replace starter in truck, would'nt start after I unloaded kyyak. By the time I got in the tide was 2/3 down and caught the tail end of the feed. Lost what felt like a keeper, caught a short on a 2" sassy shad with a 1/4 oz. jig and had three hits right next to the kyyak. Then the tide got to low. Propably sleep all day saturday and go again at night if I do any good tonight.

I think he was behind the Brigantine golf course.

Glazehead if you want I'll be going tomorrow night. I think Marksharkey is gonna be around. I'll probably launch at Delores Cooper bridge and head up into sculls. There are some nice holes in and out of that bay, not to mention a nice tight channel that runs along the sod banks of the east side of the bay. If you wanna join in send me a PM or I'll send you my cell #.

I also have some good info about another spot. Very reliable, and very good info. Problem is, I believe it when I see it.

eelball

Bigantine golf course, at the end of Roosevelt Blvd

Went tonight, Delores Coper Bridge, the main channel was to rough, so I fished the creek that goes to the left of the bridge back to scull, got a 29" in the middle of the first bend. He was pullin one way and the wind was blowing the other, ended up way down where it was choppy, got the net tangled in my second reel, got it untangled and it kept blowing out of the kyyak, had to fight the fish with my elbow holding the net down. finally put it between my legs. Tried the main channel again and had water washing over the top and this was the upwind end, left at 11:00.The fish I caught was the only bite I had and heard no fish jump. Wasn't fishing where I wanted to be.

I'll have to look around here and figure out how to send a PM.

I don't bring a net or grip. I use my hand. (that doesn't sound good)

I went this morning. I got in the water about 5:45 and went to the second creek that leads to skulls. I got 2 FAT slots and lost one next to the yak. I also had about a half dozen miss my popper. There is still a ton of bait in the bay and creeks. Those bass are packed and fat.I didn't fish long, maybe 2 hours. The duck hunters were blasting ducks all around me. It was kinda creepy,.

I had one bass blast 2 feet out of the water on my popper. Scared the crap outta me. I missed him though. It's a ton of fun on top.

I'm going again this evening(dusk) and again in the morning. I'll let you know how I make out.

eelball

I just sent you an E mail. Your kinda North of me. That would be a heck of a hike for you. If your still interested let me know. I'm getting ready to head out shortly.LIVE EELS!!

eelball

I haven't run into any big blues yet, but I've had a couple decent ones.I pull him into the yak and cover my "dude" with one hand, then get the hook out with the free hand. It's a very slow procedure.