Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BluesCruiser

sharks

32 posts in this topic

not sure if this has been addressed here before but has anyone on the cape had any trouble with sharks while in a kayak.

I had two circle me this summer off woodEnd

they were all black 5 to 6 feet long and disapeared as fast as the showed up.

and I also hooked a sand shark out deep and when I got it to the top a larger one followed and bumped my boat I cut that one off and they both were gone.

cwm13.gifcwm13.gif

------------------

BluesCruiser~~~<*)))><}

Years and years ago while surf fishing in Montuak, we would keep the fish on a stringer made of sash chain. On more than one occasion sharks would swim up and rip off a fish from a stringer. Would clear the water fast! I feel a kayak from a sharks vantage point could look like a seal or other big dinner and there in lies the problem. In shallow water the fish forced to almost me eye to eye with the yak and realize it's not a prey (though it could be thought of as a threat) then back off. Last year off Chatham the great white that was taking big stripers while hooked coule easily take a kayak to task...food or foe...it wouldn't make any difference. Scary stuff!

chsharkan2_e0.gif

I've never noticed a shortage of sharks in the surf in Florida. They can really unnerve you if you tend to be the type to worry.

They can also take you for a long sleigh ride.

I've always suggested that when buying a kayak one avoid those that look like the belly of a seal from below.

I have never seen a shark in the yak, figure an equal threat from seals. I heard more of this article on NPR and they said none of these species are endangered, they have huge ranges. We seem pretty safe in the NE but there around.

Don't all yaks look like big seals from underneath?

[This message has been edited by JimW (edited 01-17-2003).]

OK, this was in Australia but sharks don't observe geopolitical boundaries.

SYDNEY, Australia

-- A 35-year-old man has had a harrowing encounter with a shark while paddling a kayak in the habor waters just a few kilometers west of downtown Sydney.

The man was in in his kayak Thursday evening near the Cabarita Marina in the Parramatta River when the shark struck.

He was thrown into the water by the impact and then hit in the chest by the shark, which then began circling him as he swam for help. Read the story in the news section of the site.

Back , imagine seeing that great white off Squan, it was 1 mile off the beach, 20 plus ft.Dont think many of the new fisherman acknowledge this as a possible scenario in a yak.The ocean is very differ animal than a bay, You get a fish hooked, sending distress signals,eventually you gonna meet a predator.

I am currently reading a book on the 1916 Shark Attacks in NJ written by Richard Fernicola called, Tweleve Days of Terror. Very interesting especially the attacks that took place in Matawan Creek way upstream from where I first envisioned. The truth is I never have encountered any sharks while fishing from my kayak and don't want to. The thought crossed my mind last summer when I was chumming off of the kayak with a bright yum yum yellow chum bag. The only thing I can say is to always try and be aware of your surroundings and if you do see a shark give it some space.

[This message has been edited by pmjasper (edited 01-22-2003).]

I actually think about it a lot. It's hard to give a shark some space in the ocean when you've got moving currents. Mobility is not on the side of the kayaker.

I guess it's a calculated risk just like you take when backpacking the high-country. Lightning is always a possiblity and as safe as we act, we're still leaving it out of our hands.

-BC

I watched a special years ago, they were interviewing a kayaker who was attacked by a White while paddling in the surf. The location was California.

Pretty wild stuff, after tasting the front side of the Yak, the White then released and the guy put it in high gear back to the sand.

They showed the kayak with a perfectly punctured bite radius right through the plastic.

I don't know about you guys, but after seeing many large sharks being taken from boats and from the surf, my eyes are always on the prowl...

cwm24.gif