Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharp1

Horizon Photo

18 posts in this topic

horizon3b.jpg

I was doing some file manipulation and stumbled accross this image taken by Chuck Loftis of the "go-To" yak these days. This is a 12'9" X 25" HJD Wave Witch Horizon in carbon. Notice that it is rigged with a rubber "mono" paddle clip, the S2S fishing seat, a Scotty fly rod holder, a Garmin 76 GPS and a Vexilar Boundary Waters Sonar unit. Also, there is a 6 foot long Spectra bow line and clip, a paddle leash and collapsable landing net(stowed under bungee on aft deck). The two (2) AH battery, which runs the FF is in a small waterproof box and sits inside the hull next to the wet cell Xducer mount, both of which are accessed through the aft hatch.

The image is a little dark, but if you look hard, you'll see the Horizon's sizable rudder, which is not retractable. It allows this kayak to perform box turns. The kayak also has 2 skegs mounted in surfboard type skeg boxes just forward of the rudder. The deck color is Mango gelcoat.

S1

Boys, settle down. It is just a kayak smile.gif You still have to tie knots and cast to land the fish. Did I forget to mention that it weighs 31# rigged and paddles at 4 MPH without breaking a sweat? Sorry.

BK-yeah, I made the fish decals......

Sharp1 let me try that out on the reefs and rocks .Dont know where you leftys are fishing but them carbon fiber ,glass yaks wont last to long fishing on the right side.

Been paddling along full bore to many times at night and have hit a bunch of submerged rocks and reefs.Scares ya a bit.They look pretty and are light but dont think they are to practical on the right side.If ya saw the bottom of my 6 month old Tarpon you would cry.Nice yak though.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

JoeV, good point. We have structure everywhere and they have to go to Baja to find it. There structure is deep and there isn't any chance of running into it.

One thing abt glass/resin, though, it ain't hard to fix. And unlikely to bust through a nice lay up like that. Gouges in poly are forever. wink.gif And besides, Joe, I'll bet 90 pct of those you got are from lugging all 63+ lbs from the truck to the water, not in the water. Seriously, though, be careful at night, submerged rocks can dump you in a heartbeat.

Sharp- How big of a paddler have you tried in her? What usable capacity do you think?

Yes, I'll be the first to admit that this carbon boat requires TLC. It already has some gelcoat chips where I have hit a few rocks and barnacles with it. You can't accuse the Left Coasters of using these either. It seems that it is just me-other than some surfers surfing these. All other fishos here use the tupperware, or wood. The usual affair is to crash down a stairs and then drag their yaks accross a wide beach to the launch and back. So the poly yaks' bottoms don't look very pretty around here either.

I usually launch from a protected harbor, so once outside, it goes from 30 feet to 3000 feet. If we hit something, it is usually alive.

JimW-The payload is 280#. If you are 6'2" you have maxed-out the leg room. I am 5'9" and 200# and it is a relaxed fit. It is not the perfect fishing Hop-on-Top. It is a wet ride having no scuppers.. Hunt has a FishWitch cooked up, but there is not enough of a market for these craft to be able to justify a mold. So we wait....

S1

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 06-11-2002).]

Sharp...tell Hunt to "build it and they will come". No product always equals no demand wink.gif

I would like to see a tupperware hull with a carbon deck. Purdy and functional!

guts.jpg

Photo of the carbon cloth lay-up in the mold showing the internal stringers, the battery box, wet cell Xducer and wiring.

JimW,

I wonder if the technology is here to powder coat the carbon hull with a plastic poly coating? The carbon is conductive.You'd need the poly to be carbon filled too I guess. That is doable

Then again, if you were to make the hull out of aerospace grade 350 degree cure carbon prepregs, then it would certainly take the melt temperature of the 200 degree poly. Dipped? Secondarily Co-molded? Sprayed? I dunno.. But a protective layer of polyethylene over the carbon hull would give you the lightest boat and the truest hull and the skuff layer too.

I e-mailed Hunt a link to this thread. Maybe we can get his creatuive juices going. He did mention that he would like to carve a FishWitch out of a foam billet and glass it for starters. It would be a larger boat than the Horizon.

sharp

I fish off the oean beaches so have to launch and retreive through the surf. The integral, non retractable rudder and skegs would require mounting and dismounting the yak in enough depth to clear, all while negotiating the hairy conditions in the surf zone. What with all the gear we carry and the chaos of the surf in close, this seems neither convenient nor wise. So am I right that these sweeties will only work (for fishing) if deep (18" say) launched in quiet waters?

Sharpy,

Where's beagle? He may know what's in the pipe for PE technology. For myself, I'm not sure if the benefit is there, gel coats and resin/cloth are definitely renewable. You never stop thinking, do you? How about a metallic coating thats abrasion resistent? You could electroplate that sucker with .001 mm titanium alloy! Care and some maintenance should keep that boat in good shape for quite a while. I think the cheapest abrasion coating used right now is polyester cloth as the last alyer of the lay up but that stuff sucks up resin (weight) and turns to fuzz when it's sanded. I think you have to bag it with peel-ply or something.

JimDE, oops, I meant the above as a response regarding Hunt to be addressing your comments. And Jim W, you have a good grasp on tech matters too. Lots of thinkers on SOL icon14.gif

Saltatrix,

These craft are surfed in Hawaii all day long everyday. That is a tough zone to survive in. You simpply can't load the Horizon up with very much gear.No below-deck stowage for one thing. Ideally one rod and a survival pack on the aft deck is about it. The yak has a woven strap recessed into the seat pan. The idea is to dismount in knee deep water, grab the handle and walk to shore carrying the Horizon. Remember-this yak is thirty pounds-not 50-60 plus a load of gear. Besides, at least out on the Pacific coast, the pros do not recommend surfing right on in to dry sand in any case. They try to ride the backside of the last big wave in a set ashore and hop-off in knee to chest deep water, staying on the ocean side of the yak. Then, grabbing the bowline, you guide the yaks into the shallows until beached;and if you have a Wave Witch-you just pick it up and walk ashore. Me? I use docks..Surfing is for kidswink.gif and Hunt.

S1