Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Side Finder Depth Finder

38 posts in this topic

I know JimDE has one .Sounds like a neat option.Especially since I fish shallow water most of the time.Does anyone else have any experience with these ? Jim could you give us some more info on them ?

Thanks JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

I feel they are needed. I have seen fish on-top left and right of me and seen nothing showing on the down-looker! I predict that in the next 2-3 years they will develop DSP based software to allow finite detection and that will usher a new line of side finders products. I want to get the sidefinder Xducers built into the kayak rudder, or hull (keel mounted?) and then have it auto-toggle and scan left and right and then lock on the fish and signal to us to cast -THERE. Please someone do that!!

JoeV, I have been a firm believer in sidefinders since they were first introduced by Bottomline. In my fishing a std depth finder with a 30 deg cone is next to useless. My fishing is normally in 15' or less and the std finders just show too little of the bottom due to cone angle to be useful.

A sidefinder can show fish out to 120' all around the boat if you have the ability to rotate your transducer. When I am on the search I keep the sidefinder pointed forward. When it chirps I cast in that direction. If I don't hookup I will swing the sidefinder around till I mark fish in that location. To me a sidefinder/with water temp is the only useful piece of electronics a shallow water angler can have.

Yes there are lots of excellent companies making std locators whose graphics are spectacular. But only two companies produce sidefinder units which work while the depth finder is also working.

Take any locator and swivel the tranducer parallel to the bottom and you now have a sidefinder. I just like units designed to perform the function on it's own.

For $99.00 you can get a 1200 Bottomline sidefinder/locator which has it's own temp guage as well. Yes the pixel rating is low but who cares in shallow water fishing. Hard to beat the price/value factor with this unit.

Jim, what models are you talking about? I agree that for the majority of our fishing this makes sense. I'm very interested.

By the way I think that you need a nickname. How about "the toyman". smile.gif

JimDE

How do rig a side finder tranny so it can be manually rotated on a yak? Doesn't seem like shooting thru hull would work, are these all transom mounts?

Hiding once again behind MAx Chavez's expertise on all matters sonar, I have discussed turning trannies sideways in order to fashion a side looker. It is just not that simple. It may work "OK" in shallow water, but to get the type of resoloutin and definition we are used to in our well refined downlookers, some softwware breakthroughs are required.

The water column is layered and near the top the density, clarity, and temperature gradations will play havock on a downlooker's

softwear. You get some strange reflected signals from the surface too. The current analog software can not properly crunch all the information properly and give us a true picture. Also, it takes quite a bit more power to shoot sideways through the surface layers for any distance. That is my twisted take on it from talking to Max a few times on this topic.

Max tells me that in 2-3 years the DSP (digital signal processing) will be developed and advanced enough to truely read sideways with great detail. Until the software is available on kayak priced units, sidelookers will be less than optimized.

Till then, try a 1200 Bottomline. I'll bet it is a blast to get them in the shallows like JimDe does.

JimDE I also want to know how we can mount on the yak and have it rotate.Very intersted in getting one if it will work well in a kayak.Thanks for your help.

JoeV

------------------

The problem facing the sidefinder in shallow water is nothing compared to deep water. This is almost the same as saying East Coast compared to West Coast. In deep water you often have multiple thermoclines and while they may have formed parallel to the surface they don't always stay that way. They can bulge up to the surface or slant at almost any angle. Sound waves can bounce off them in directions dependant on the angle of incidence. Submariners owe thier lives to this. They hide beneath these layers.

Clancy explained all this in The Hunt For Red October far better than I can.

I've never used a sidefinder but you guys have convinced me.

JoeV,

I've had a Bottomline Fishin' Buddy with Sidefinder that I've used in a canoe for years. The Sidefinder technology is awesome for shallow water fishing. As mentioned, turning the finder and sweeping will find where the fish are. More importantly, you can cruise a shoreline, and scope it out.

I don't have a finder for the yak yet...but I'm looking for a sidefinder solution.

Paul G. aka Rockfisherman

Wow!! This explains how I can be in the middle of a bluefish blitz in 7' of water and my tri view will not mark fish.Who makes this side view unit?? and how do you use it??? I have been using my finder for depth/bottom contour and hardness but not for marking fish in under 8' of water.

Doug M

OK guys. You mount the transducer as you would a portable mount.

On my Mokai I will have a sheet of plexaglass attached to my hull. To that I will have 3 suction cup/bungee attached in line vertically. To the upper and lower suction cup/bungee's I will have a compression joint PVC connection (1" dia) this makes an upper and lower attach point. Inside these 2 compression joints I will run a section of 1" PVC . On the lower part of this 1" PVC pipe I have a 90 deg and a small section of 1" PVC making a small elbow. This is where I attach the transducer. It is attached with tie straps. The wire is threaded up inside the 1" PVC to the top where there is a "T" section. The wire then feeds into the cockpit and to the locator. The third suction cup/bungee is located between the 2 compression joints and goes around the 1" PVC pipe which was used as the tranducer mounting section. This adds tension to this 360 deg rotating shaft which is used to adjust the depth the tranducer is in the water or to withdraw the tranducer completely out of the water when needed.

Once set up the "T" section at the top acts like a handle which can be rotated in a 360 degree pattern. This allows you to aim the sidefinder in the direction you want to look at.

_____

_____---------

II

II

CC

(CC)

CC

(II)

CC

(CC)

CC

II

II

EEEIII

TTT

Crude drawing but I hope you get the picture. II is the 1"PVC

CC is the compression joints

EE is the 90 deg joint

TTT is the tranducer

____

____ is the "T" section

---- is the exiting wire

( ) is the suction cup/bungees

[This message has been edited by Jim DE (edited 03-15-2002).]

JimW, You are correct....thru hull mounts will not allow the sidefinder to work. The transducer has to be low enough in the water that the hull doesn't interrupt the signal.

JonS, Hard to beat the 1200 Bottomline sidefinder/locator for bang for the buck. $99.95 from BPS or Cabelas. One direction sidefinder which is a plus for a rotating tranducer mount.

The above mentioned mounting can be altered to work on a yak as well. The key is the compression joints. These allow fixed positions which to install the PVC which will hold the transducer. Imagination and some PVC goes a long way.

Oh by the way...I am using a lead acid 12v Guardian battery which is about the size of a lawnmower battery. I ran the Bottomline on simulation with the light on and the audible fish alert for 20 hours and the battery never ran out. This IS a lightweight power solution for electronics on a yak.

Great info guys. Maybe we can get someone who works in a machine shop, etc. to devise somethng universal that we then could mount to the yaks. I see a business opportunity for someone.

JonS I can make something up lets try and come up with something.

JimDE Can you get us a picture of that mount?

JoeV

------------------