Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SeaRobyn

Shark River Access

6 posts in this topic

I've seen kayaks in Shark River, but I'm curious as to how they launched. I know there is a park there (with the tennis courts and playground), but the seawall would make launching a bit difficult. I also know there are boat ramps, but those you have to pay for.

Does anyone know if there is free kayak access to the Shark River Inlet??

Thanks,

SeaRobyn

SR, theres a beach on the western shore that is free and I have launched a car topper there many many times I forget the name of the street though cwm34.gifcwm6.gif

McCleary Park, where the tennis courts are, has a beach to either side of it. On the other side of the River, by the Headliner, there is a boat ramp, if you go down around the corner, I think there is a beach you can launch from down there.

If your looking to launch in the ocean, on the Avon side of the Inlet there is an L jetty, the water behind the jetty is usually pool like conditions, this would allow you to get in, zip up and start out to sea.biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

SR, the weakies there, for the most part, are small...12-20". There's many, many more in much more yakkable waters...no hassles. Ask JonS, I entrusted him with some info last night that he'll share with you if you do the pinkie swear and secret handshake cwm24.gif

If I were to launch in Shark River, I'd do so in the back, Shark River Hills...theres decent parking, lots of small beaches to launch from...it's a paddle to the inlet from there...I dunno that I'd do that paddle with all the ignorant folks who either can't read or don't know what "NO WAKE" means...and it's not just the tourons, it's the party boats that blast half way up the inlet at full bore. You'd think they'd get tickets? Nope. If you made a wake in your yak at night when no one else was on the water, you'd get a ticket, but not the 75' party boats cwm23.gif

TimS