Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doug

GPS

16 posts in this topic

WOW!!! I finally got one.The Magellan Meridian Marine with the built in maps.Since I got the Tarpon I go out on very long paddles in some not so good conditions.I always carry a compass on me but when it gets really foggy you can still get very lost.Joey C and I spent a good hour lost in the twisting marshes of the Great South Bay one foggy day(Joey left the gps at home).

I fished the WICC contest out of Manhasset Harbor yesterday.Managed 1/2 dozen Bass and 1/2 dozen Bluefish.No blues big enough to weighin though.I paddled across the sound and fished at Hart Island,where I took all the Bass.I averaged over 4mph on the crossing with a light wind in the face.Having The gps was awesome.point the cursor on a map point and it tells you the distance from where you are.The trip meter read 14.2 miles when I returned back to Manorhaven park.I must of done a couple of 20 mile paddles so far in the Tarpon without realizing it.If you can huck the buck any gps is well worth it.

Doug M

Oh Yeah some Jack... almost ran me down in his 35' cabin cruiser .He had the boat trimmed so that he could not see anything under 5' in height in front of him.He was coming at me at about 35 mph.I hit the rudder hard and spun the kayak around

and paddeled like hell to get out of the way.Missed me by only 35-40'Did not slow down or even knew I was there.His kid did turn around in time to see me flipping them the bird.If I did not move I would have been toast.I had a bright yellow jacket on also.

I not only wear a bright yellow pfd, I wear a bright yellow Navigator!

Last year I was drift fishing in my 15 ft aluminum boat on a sunday morning when a 60 footer doing 40 mph passed within 10 feet! No one was at the controls, it was set on autopilot and everyone was sitting around having their morning cocktails. They just waived!

I went home, sold the boat and have never been in Boston harbor since. Its back bays and quiet places from now on....

Doug,I use a Garmin Map76 and wouldn't think of going out without it.Just installed a Ram-Mount for it right below the water bottle in my Tarpon.Very accessible and easy to read in this spot.icon14.gifThe Map76 has tide tables for anyplace which I find to be it's best feature.When one is to compare the cost of a tide watch to the cost of a good gps they are about the same,but the gps gives you so much more.Good luck with yours.smile.gif

As for being seen by other boats.I carry a small strobe light that I keep clipped to my PFD.Found on the internet yesterday a flag holder(on the Surf to Summit website)that uses a water skier flag(available at most marine suppliers)and mounts in a scupper hole.May have to get one.

My situation was pretty much like Cliffs.This guy was not even looking at the water or anything in front of him.When he hit the harbor and the 5 mph no wake speed zone he was still going 35 right through it!!! cwm23.gif

Doug M

Believe flags,lights, and sirens do not work in that situation.cwm23.gifLarge caliber bow mounted machine gun neededbiggrin.gif Maybe a small sea-to-sea missile?

Down here on barnegat bay you take your life in your hands when yakking on the weekends in the summer.Had jet skiers actually "roost"medevil.gifAnd if I hear anotherone yell"stroke,stroke,stroke,..."I will hunt them down and cause bodily damagebiggrin.gif.Just goes with the turf I guess.

Doug paddling from Manhasset to Hart is very dangerous. Your really taking a chance at either getting killed or seriously getting injured. You've got a lot of those speed boats(cigar boat)flying by there in the sound and you also have lots of hugh barges being towed and they come up fast on you. You should get yourself an air horn a flag and a VHF radio in case something happens.

We had a cse a while back where some rich dude was taking the boat to FL for the winter. He apparently had it on autoplilot and it ran over and killed two fishermen. The boat owner got six months.

going back to the topic of this thread I really don't know why anyone would risk going out in a potentially foggy situation without a GPS. Even if it doesn't get foggy it's one less thing to think and worry about while your out there. A compass is all well and good if you know where you are to begin with but that is not always the case. All the other neat things they can do are just icing on the cake.

Was trolling in the GSB around 5am on Sun morning in the late spring when a big twin screw came up behind me at full power. The yahoos on board noticed me just in time to swerve across my line and take my favorite bomber and 50yd of power-pro. They then set course between two islands for Bayshore, only the channel was located the next two islands to the west. They went up onto an 18" deep flat at 30 knots. The stern literally came out of the water and they ploughed out about 100yd of sand before halting. Paddled over and got close enough to see the bozos flappin around, stunned but apparently (miraculously) uninjured, turned and paddled off. Couldn't have happened to a nocer couple.

One thing I've noticed that really stands out are white paddle blades. I'm planning on these for my next paddle. Still, even when it's clear they see you, they come too close for comfort. I was about 20 yards from a swimming beach just splashing around with my 3 year old daughter in the kid's seat this weekend when a power boat towing a kid learning to ski came by on half plane, waved at me and nearly swamped us. He was all smiles and totally clueless that he was leaving a 5 foot wake in shallow water. I'm afraid if I get a GPS I'll make a long venture that will end with me belly up mid sound being nibbled on by passing bluefish...

------------------

Arnie S.

Although a white paddle may seem visble on calm water, it is actualy the herdest color to see on chop. White kayaks and paddles are invisble when the wind howls. Get a yellow,orange,lime,or teal colored paddle.

Barrell

I have a map 330. Not the 330M. Any body familiar? Got it for hunting last year and never used it.I had some experience years ago when I owned a boat on the south shore of LI.I was a kid and the unit was kinda crude.As long as it can return route I guess it will work fine. Right?

Being a paddler and having skippered some large sporty's I can say this. Never EVER assume that he see's ya. If his bearing will even come anywhere near ya, do not take your eyes off him. The height of of most bridge helms is no good for seeing "down". He's scanning the horizon for "large" objects. The more shallow the water, the more you better watch him, he's watching his depth finder,horizon, GPS etc, not lookin down. Don't let your gaurd down

When we were down at the Susky Flats the color we could all see the furhtest was Mango. MikeC went off paddling with Mullet Miller and we could see his paddle blades flinking in the distance. Also we lost the mango colored kayaks last to our view, next was lime green and then yellow.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net