Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BadCzech

17' Sea Kayak too big?

3 posts in this topic

Hey folks...

I have been given a 17' Necky Sea Kayak by my father who has moved on to a 15 footer. I love the thing and have been paddling it off Cape Cod during the past two summers. I have always surfcasted down there due to the abundance of nice spots.

I am moving up to Rockport MA and will be attempting to fish from the kayak for the first time. I am looking into the proper setup for angling, but wanted to see if anyone though that this 17' SIK may be too big/unwieldy for fishing?

I have good control over the kayak, and it is equipped with a rudder. I am able to perform deep water re-entry so *fingers crossed* safety should not be an issue.

Do people generally feel that SOT's are better for angling than SIK's? Also, is the size going to play a huge part? I hope that stability will not be an issue as this kayak is designed for speed over stability.

TIA.

Chris

I have a 17 ft sea kayak and a 16 ft SOT. I like big kayaks and as long as you can handle it in the conditions you want to fish it's not too big. The SOT has a lot of advantages and I hardly fish the SK any more. Deep water re-entry gets way more interesting when you try to do it in the snot that probably put you in the drink in the first place or fatigued. Be cautious, but within reasonable limits it's fine and you'll have a lot of fun. SK's are stabile enough but you are actively part of that stability using your knees/hips and paddle. Take a minimum of gear and assume you may be in the water a while if you lose it so dress accordingly. Consider how you are going to do a re-entry when you start screwing rod holders to the deck. If you place one near the cockpit you may have to fold down or remove it.

On most outings these days (where I don't fish the surf zone) I use a 17' SOT. SOT definitely has advantages over the SIT, but there are lots of qualifiers in that statement. If you don't tip over at the drop of a hat, if you can fight a big fish, and play with it in and out of the boat on the water, then I say it's more than adequate.

I would bet the single biggest factor is the beam of the boat. If it's got a round bottom and beam less than 24", it wouldn't be my first choice for a SIT or SOT