Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JPL

Garelick motor mount

7 posts in this topic

I'm driving you guys nuts with this motor mount stuff, I know.

I got a stainless steel mount with ABS mount attachment/ great product! Any way, My new Ambush kayak has a stern position that I'm mounting this thing on. I plan on boring through the hull with long rods for u-bolt attachment the mounting plate.

My question is: is the polyethylene hull OK for this setup in the sense of, will the vibration of a small 2-cycle motor or it's weight compromise the hull? I mean, with extended use.

Some stainless fender washers on both sides with pl5200 on both surfaces, would distribute stress and reduce vibration.

Barrell

Your are out there exploring new turf however with a gas motor. I have never heard of anyone doing that before.

Thanks barrell, btw, you seem like the Bob Popovics of Kayaking- I've enjoyed your site and seen your posts on many other boards...

Could you tell me what pl5200 is? I've designed(conceptually) synthetic rubber dampeners (thick medical laboratory Earlenmeyer flask stoppers) for the horizontal hull rods that are hull mounted.

Is pl5200 the product to use?

Pl - 5200 is just one of the popular Marine adhesives(boat shop). Aquaseal is also good(surf or dive shop). I try to learn from all my mistakes.

Barrell

Just a suggestion, if you are running in the surf and beyond - be catious when putting wholes in your boat. My flush mounts took on so much water I was sunk before I even got started. Srews and a little Silicon should be fine. At this point I'm not even willing to add rod holders when I get my Ambush... soon I hope. No holes or screws for me.

I don't know how Polyethelyne would react to gasoline ...do YOU?

It might be prudent to soak a few shavings in a cup of petrol, and see if they melt, or get soft, or something.

There has to be SOME reason you only see Electric motors on plastic watercraft, no?

Better to find this out over the Winter, than a mile offshore in the Summer!