Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
labrador 1

What Do I need??

10 posts in this topic

I've never fished out of a Kayak Before, and know very little about it, but for some reason I've got the bug. I don't get to the ocean as often as I would like, so I thought adding a kayak to the arsenal might better my odds. Question is is simple: I need to know everything. Is there a "standard" as far as boats go? What additional gear do I need to be "set up". What should I expect to pay to get all that I need? I also wonder what you guys think about kayaking by myself. I expect at least half of my trips each year will be on my own. Do you think there are safety issues there? I'm sure some of these questions have been answered here repeatedly, so your opinions or links to previously answered questions would be appreciated.

I do a lot of kayak fishing alone. More so in freshwater then salt but I've fished alone a lot in the salt too. With the growth of the sport I do so in salt a lot less now as there's usually someone who wants to hook up and fish. When I do fish alone I just err on the side of caution, at least I do now. When I got started in the sport I spent a lot of time in warm weather experimenting and determining what I could and couldn't do with my yak.

I reccomend Ken Daubert's book "**** - The Revolution" as its full of good info.

We affectionately call kayak fishing the Darkside of fishing because once you start you're hooked. I never go to the shore without a kayak now.

By the way where are you located?

------------------

JonS@****stuff.com

John,

Thanks for the info - I'll check out the book. I'm located in Western New York State - Jamestown area. Not much salt here, but I'm just about to go take my lunchbreak at Chautauqua Creek - drifting for Steelhead.

Labrador1

Fishing out of a kayak is pretty easy.Once you get your balance (like ridnig a bike for the first time)you should be ok as long as you use your head.If you think its dangerous or not safe it get out of there.Thats all common sense.Its hard to teach but most people have it.Within a few trips I had my wife banging thru 2 foot waves & landing bass to 34 inches.She has never dumped it either.

I fish alone alot since I go when ever I get a chance to.Sometimes I cant find some one to join me.I will only fish a new spot alone during the day .A familiar low risk spot I fish alone at night with no regrets during the summer months.When its cooler out early spring and fall I usally err on the side of caution and really try much harder to hookup with some of the fellows.Much safer having a buddy with you.Plus I need some one to take pics of my fish biggrin.gif.

A rigged kayak should be between $1500 -$750

depending on what gear you purchase.But a grand should set you up nice.

Some stuff you need

Paddle

PFD

Rod Holders

Paddle Leash

Assorted Safety Items

You can really load a yak up but I like to keep it simple .Less crap to load and unload.

Plus its a bit lighter if you have to carry it down to the launch site.

If your ever plan on heading thru CT check me out on the CT Forum.Usally fish every weekend.Especially Friday nights and Sunday mornings.

JoeV

Joev@****stuff.com

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

I fish alone 99% of the time.Just enjoy going and coming when I want and my life/schedule is crazy with two young ones and a business to run.

Kayaking: it is a blast even if you don't fish.Being so close to the water makes you feel a part of it.You see/hear things like never before.Wildlife is amazingly seen as your so stealth like.

You can go places that no one else can get to............I've taken my boat up side creeks with only 6 inches of water.

Many times the kayak gets me to a nice deserted beach where I beach it and fish from shore.

Carefull though..............it is adicting.

I've currently have 3 yaks( Whitewater boat,sea yak and a rec/fishing kayak.

And a Mad River Explorer canoe for my camping adventuressmile.gif )and may look into a sit on top this year.

My humble opinion.........buy used!!!!!!!!

The actual kayak that is.Great deals can be had and only my first one was new.

Your first boat most likely will not be your last.

good luck

I fish alone 90% of the time, day and night, cause I'm the only one doing it off fire island in my area,

It can get hairy when ocean launching and beaching, when the breakers start to curl on you in the surf zone, when the 2-3' wind driven chop on the bayside comes at you from the side.

The danger increases geometrically with cold water so dress for the water temp and with heavy boat traffic so wear lots colors daytime and light yourself up like Times Square on New Years at night. (Not necesary in the ocean in my area)

I always carry compass, GPS, waterproof VHF, flares, whistle, airhorn, knife, first aid kit in and on my PFD. None of it helps if you're in the drink and it just floated off on your yak.

If you're going to fish in kayak, get into shape. You'll need it for the long haul and the short burst of power. You'll also need it to haul yourself back onboard when you go over well offshore.

Judgement is key and I have exercised mine well most of the time but poorly any number of instances. Maybe that's why I carry all that safety gear. Also I guess I like the challenge.