Are tica rods junk?

Rate this topic

WFO

• 1 year later...
Did you ever buy this 14 foot Tica? If so, how difficult is it to cast such a long pole? I'm in my 70's and am concerned about this. I was looking at the spinning pole.

Jim in Corona

Jim, the original poster hasn't been active on these forums since Sep 2013 , he was just toying around with the idea . Unless you have a very specific application in mind I wouldn't concern myself with rods in the 14 foot range , the overwhelming majority of surfcasters use rods in the nine to eleven foot range.

Thanks so much for your answer. I saw how old the post was and wondered if he was still active. Thought maybe someone else could answer the question also (and you did - Thanks).

Amazon just happened to have a 14 foot H 12-25 salmon steelhead rod reduced from $134 to $49 with free shipping and I thought it was a bargain (just trying to figure out how to use it). Figured I could use it for catfish if it proved too hard to cast. Just checked a minute ago and it is sold however. I do thank you for your response however.

I am from So. Calif. so much of the specific species info is not transferable here. Your coverage of fishing gear however is superior by a mile to anything I have seen in So Calif.

Jim in Corona

I also own 8' and 9' Tica's (Dolphin) which I have been fishing with for about 5 years with absolutely NO issues.

"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."

Thanks so much for your answer. I saw how old the post was and wondered if he was still active. Thought maybe someone else could answer the question also (and you did - Thanks).

Amazon just happened to have a 14 foot H 12-25 salmon steelhead rod reduced from $134 to $49 with free shipping and I thought it was a bargain (just trying to figure out how to use it). Figured I could use it for catfish if it proved too hard to cast. Just checked a minute ago and it is sold however. I do thank you for your response however.

I am from So. Calif. so much of the specific species info is not transferable here. Your coverage of fishing gear however is superior by a mile to anything I have seen in So Calif.

Jim in Corona

My apologies for not responding soon enough , $49.00 is a good deal on a $135.00 rod but only if it fits what you plan on doing with it . Why don't you tell us exactly what you have in mind as that will make it so much easier to recommend the right rod and other gear you may need.

My nephew fished a 7 foot TICA rod this year dont know if its a dolphin or that other one USDG or something like that. I seen him land a ton of big fish on that thing (5-25 lb stripers) its a nice rod no problems. i do believe his rod throws up to 3.5 0oz as well.. i even thought about selling my 7 foot St Croix triumph and picking up this rod

I was interested in long distance spinning reel casting with light line and 1/4 to 1 ounce weight to target the mainly small surf fish in So. Calif. They often weigh less than a pound to a couple of pounds for a giant fish.

In the winter, even here, you get pretty cold if you have to wade out into the surf to reach the outer troughs. My wife do not like the idea of wading gear and neither do I. Too many chances of falling down and having the gear fill with water putting the wearer in danger (yes I know that a personal floatation devise helps but that is more to carry and more bulk. I thought a long rod may give me enough additional casting distance to keep me out of the water. I do not want a heavy surf rod as repetitive casting with something like a 5/8 ounce Lucky Craft is what is often used and surf rods are too heavy with too long a butt. 

A long salmon steelhead rod seemed like the answer. The mailing weight on a 14 foot Tica graphite was ONE pound. I keep reading "longer is better" when it comes to distance casting. Rods seem to keep getting longer and longer for this reason. I've seen those old English distance casters on TV with their 16 foot poles casting over a football field - and they are often old dudes like me.

I just know there is a huge difference between casting a 5 foot rod and a 9 foot rod for distance (with the same weight and line). Longer is better - or not for my purposes?

And thanks so much for your intention to my question. I am impressed!

Jim in Corona