Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonefish79

Isabel smashed my yak

11 posts in this topic

Isabel dumped a 75' tree on my shed, and of course my faithful old Perception Keowee was inside. She was hanging in a sling from the ceiling and the port side took the brunt of the impact, huge crease/ dent midway down from top to bottom, and the boat has a real slight banana shape to it now. Looks like the internal frame is ok, and no holes in the hull. Any suggestions on how to pop it back out? I'm thinking a heat gun and rubber mallet may do the trick.

Doug

Sorry to hear what happened to your yak. If you get a nice sunny day also try putting it out in the sun with something black over the dent. I've seen kayaks come back to the rotomolded shape.

Problem solved. I had the yak sitting out in the back yard, full sun all day, and it popped back all by itself. You can't even tell where the crease was. Thanks for the suggestions.

Doug

Before making any repairs I'd take some photos and contact homeowners insurance. This should be covered under your homeowners plan. Not only the kayak but the shed, tools, equipment, lawn....anything that was damaged. If they give you the song and dance about "acts of god" not being covered I'd get a public adjuster.

Yup, did all that. The adjuster was out Tuesday and cut me a check on the spot for a new shed and removal of the tree, and left me forms for anything inside that's damaged. She saw the yak and the jonboat that's also under the tree and made a note that they were damaged/ destroyed. Insurance companies take a lot of heat, but I'm sure happy with mine (Erie). They've always treated me right. Thanks everyone.

Good news, Doug. Glad to hear you'll ba back on the water.

I'm eyeballing Thursday night 10/9/03 for a trip to the Narrows. Full moon, strong tides, but nice timing of those tides.

Lemme know if you're interested.

-- Doug E.