Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oceanbourne

Dry ocean yak

20 posts in this topic

I have never even sat in a yak and there aren't any places around me that sell them except for the big box stores, meaning, no trying them out.

I want the yak exclusively for getting my shark baits out a few hundred yards in the ocean. The water I would go out in would pretty calm except for maybe 4 foot breakers maximum.

I want to use it in the spring too, when the water is cold. I want to stay dry and I don't think I want a SOT. I may want to put a pole holder on it to chase breaking Blues too, I guess I can cut a hole and mount a holder.

I'm 6" and 185 lbs. I also would like to have someplace to store a couple of small items, don't know if putting on the floor is ok, will stuff slide to the front where I can't reach it? How about a storage locker behind me, can I turn around and reach into it?

I looked at the Old Town® Dirigo 120 Kayak at bassproshops and it looks like what I need, with the locker. It's narrower and longer than the Perception® Swifty Kayak, is that a good thing in the ocean?

We're talking $300.00 difference so if the smaller Swifty will do the job I'll get that.

I don't plan to tour with it or stay in it for hours, maybe 30 minutes at a shot.

Thanks ya'll!

Steve...

I think I'm becoming addicted, so be careful.

You can order a kayak from LL Bean. You can also return it to LL Bean if you don't like it. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

I have a Tarpon 120, and would highly reccomend it to anyone looking to have fun in the surf, and fish from as well.

oceanbourne,

Have you checked out commercialsitedeleted.com? They have an office in Rockville, but their kayak shop is in Eastport, MD (not sure). They are an Ocean Kayak dealer and they rent kayaks. Check their WEB page out.

[ 07-28-2005, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

4 ft breakers, staying dry.....uhhhhhh...get out and look around on the web a bit. Very calm water, to toss out a couple of baits....anything plastic that floats will do. Beyond that, you get into lot's of details that may make deciding which to get complicated. A SIK kayak is not necessarily dry if you roll in the surf. anytime, ANYTIME!, you enter the water in a yak, you have to be prepared for submersion. Now, submersion in shorts and a sweat shirt in april...well.... You really have to plan it out. surf re-entry takes pratice. Scott

Not only is it unlikely you would stay dry in those seas ...but your SIK would swamp from the water it takes on.

GENERALLY speaking, the narrower the kayak is, the faster it is, at the expense of primary stability. Ditto the LONGER it is, the faster it is, at the expense of primary stability. Granted, some hull designs are faster than others, etc.

The problem with ordering something that you have never tried is that you may NEVER be comfortable on it! If you understand the "pucker factor" you will see what I mean.

With the heavy seas you want to launch in, you will need a kayak that is designed for the surf. Then you will have to get accustomed to using it, before even trying to take a rod with you!

I strongly recommend a SOT that is specifically designed for the surf...check out the Ocean Kayak line, for starters. Get one that will carry TWICE your weight!

AMMO

So I guess everybody recommends a SOT, eh?

I'll take everyone's advise and change my search to a SOT.

How 'bout the SOT Mainstream Kingfish Kayak at bassproshops.com? Would I be able to reach into the forward locker while on the water?

I can't afford a Hobie, that extra money is going into sharking gear.

Thanks ya'll!

Steve...

Do a google search on sharking fishing in a kayak and you'll find the boys out in CA are there! They use Ocean and Cobra kayaks plus Malibu and other names. If you are in the south where bull sharks and other know "man eaters" reside then you are bait as well. Your kayak will look like a seal or maybe a dophin resting who knows what a shark is thinking but I would think this thru. Catching thresher sharks in deep water is one thing but some of these other species only consider your plastic boat as a challenge or a meal. I wish you well in your search and be safe.

Another thing to consider is a Yak with a rudder.

If you are planning on extended periods of time with both hands on the rod and reel a rudder will allow you to coordinate the positon of the Yak with the fish or the direction of the sea.

Sounds like a serious undertaking...check all the posts about safey. Knife, First Aid, PDF, extra paddle, Cell phone/marine radio, etc.

Also you may want to practices on smaller fish to begin to get the feel and balance before hooking up with a serious shark.

Goodluck

I did some research. There are several Kayak shops that rent in your area. Start by performing a search on Ocean Kayaks, click on the dealer locator tab, enter your zip 20852, change 20 to 30 within miles, and then click on shops web site. Repeat for other brands.

Today on OLN they featured kayak shark fishing from Hawaii.

Thanks for all the help ya'll, I appreciate it.

Just going with something basic, no rudder, etc...

It will be used only for taking big bait out a couple hundred yards to drop off. Maybe the occasssional toss to some schools for a few minutes.

The shark fishing will be done from the beach with heavy gear. Not messin' with one in the yak, it'll take me out to sea.

Steve...

Shark fishing the DelMarVa beaches is very much a warm weather / warm water thing; not a spring fishery at all. Year in and year out, the majority of catches of better sized sharks are racked up by those casting from the beach. Surf fishing. If your money's a little tight, the yak is really a waste for that fishery. Invest in quality tackle and practice your casting.

Also good to paddle out in spring and fall for the schools of Blue and Rock. Often times they're just outside tossing distance.

My toss is ok and the equipment is always needing upgrading (grin).

It's pretty much impossible to toss a whole fish where I want it, even though the toothy critters are within 100' of the beach.

Anyone know of a setup to transport a yak like on a ladder rack? Pickup bed mounted, kind'a on the side. I've seen the ones where you rest it on the tailgate and roof but prefer the other.

Hey Ocean,

I dont know if I am allowed to do this...but contact John or joey at CommercialSiteDeleted.com They are a great help to new Yak fisherman. I just got a OK Prowler 13(SOT) from them. They are VERY Helpful.

Jay

[ 07-31-2005, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]